Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckjudd

Not sure how to proceed....

ckjudd
10 years ago

I'm new to florida gardening. I have been working on identifying plants in my yard and expanding my knowledge of 'how and what to do'.

I know this is an Amaryllis. It has bloomed the past two springs. The bloom is orange in color. My question is......... ' When would be the best time to seperate/divide this small group to clean up the mother bulb and bulbet and the 'seedling' that appears in this group?' I would like to move it also to a new location as I have seeds coming that I am interested in planting here of a red variety. Also what do I need to do to clean up this bulb?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cindy

Comments (7)

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view of the above group.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Hi Cindy,

I'm not a Florida gardener but.. I would say that it you want to move these bulbs, just dig up the whole clump, don't seperate them and replant them where you want them.

They look pretty healthy to me and don't look like they need be be cleaned up so if you relocate them try not to disturb their roots, give them a little TLC with fertilizer and they should grow into a large clump in a few years which is how you want hippeastrum growing in the ground to be. They look best in clumps of the same flower...

There are several very knowledgeable Florida gardeners on this forum and I'm sure they will have some thoughts for you also...

Donna

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Donna.

I just thought that the bulb looked like it was laying side ways and should be more upright.You mentioned fertilizer... what would you suggest?

In past gardening in Ohio I only planted annuals and a small garden of vegetables and used an all purpose fertilizer occasionally.

Again thanks for you help.

Cindy

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Hi Cindy,

I agree with Donna, that you should have no problem moving them now. This is a the hot and rainy season so they should settle in easily. I would, however, move them to a place that mimics (as much as possible) the conditions where they have been growing so happily and definitely make sure there is good drainage. Direct Florida sunlight can "melt" plants quickly, so I would opt for a place that had morning or afternoon sun only- if I wasn't sure. You might also ask on the Florida forum as a lot of members have these plants that have naturalized.
    -J

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Great looking clump! It looks very healthy. If you just want to move it to a new spot I would dig the whole clump and disturb it as little as possible and replant in the new location. If you are trying to increase how many you have, you could dig this clump, use a hose to wash away the dirt, and gently pull apart all the individual bulbs. If you spaced out the individuals, in 2 or 3 years you could have multiple clumps this size. Either way will be fine. This is a good time to move or divide them.

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is one of the beds I am reinventing. With the seeds I have received and am waiting on , I hope it looks half as nice as the gardens they came from. The had part will be the waiting....for them to mature. :)

Thank you all for your help. It is much appreciated!

Cindy

• ckjudd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is one of the beds I am reinventing. With the seeds I have received and am waiting on , I hope it looks half as nice as the gardens they came from. The had part will be the waiting....for them to mature. :)

Thank you all for your help. It is much appreciated!

Cindy

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions