Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Komoriya overgrown basal plates...

Hi Everyone,

I received my latest order of Komoriya bulbs and most all of them were large to good sized except of course Piyo-piyo of which I just can't seem to get a bulb even as large as a golf ball but this one had an offset so I guess I'll just live with it and hope for the best.

Five of these bulbs had grossly overgrown basal plates. I couldn't in good conscience leave them that way so I cut them. They are already well dried and I'll give them a few more days and then attempt to plant them. My question is: Is there anything that I can do with these basal plates to possibly produce more bulbs? I tried it once in the past, putting my dried piece of basal plate in a plastic bag with damp vermiculite in a dark corner and only succeeded in growing lots of mold...

{{gwi:415016}}

Some of you are probably cringing that I cut these Komoriya bulbs but as you can see, I felt I just had to...I neglected to put my golf ball in the picture but these bulbs are larger than they look in this picture. I also found two spots of rot on Shoka no Amasagi on the basal line which I scoured out with a spoon, should be fine as I certainly don't want to loose that one!!

Donna

Comments (23)

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I just throw away the old basal plates Donna. I likewise tried planting them before and they just rotted.

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

Donna, the old basal plates - is dead than alive tissue.Vascular bundles
    , vessels - they always die before functioning.
    On the old basal plates no dormant buds both primordia of roots. Therefore, the correct solution (agree with mariava7) - cut off and throw.

This post was edited by oleg9grower on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 16:57

• orchids_grower_1946
    10 years ago

Donna
    I have 3 hippeastrums from komoriya with no roots and leave. What the best way to grow them?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Maria and Oleg...I will throw them away...!

Orchid-grower,

All the Komoriya bulbs arrived with no roots and no leaves. What I do is just sit them on top of some soil (just lightly dampened) and wait..it can take weeks and weeks. If you'd like, you might put some rooting hormone on the bottoms, in the past I have tried this but I've never really noticed any difference although some people do say it helps. Several of the bulbs that I bought about 6 weeks ago are just now starting to send out a few thick short roots and when I see several roots then I will actually plant them in the soil. I always plant very high anyway so by just sitting them on top of the soil you can drive yourself crazy by checking every week for roots! Don't let them sit on wet soil, as I mentioned just damp and if they dry out now and then it won't matter.

Good luck and which varieties did you buy?

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 20:28

• chazparas
    10 years ago

Hi all, haven't posted in quite a long time. Working my fat bottom off out here in CA.
    Donna, it's worth a try. I grew two small papillio from a basal plate, it was all that was left from the NBF infestation that destroyed my hippy collection. Those two golf ball sized bulbs are the only hippies I have left. I actually just planted the plate in a small pot of commercial potting mix with some added perlite, it's taken forever though.
    Chaz
    (hey Mariava! )

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Chazzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG...So nice seeing you in here and knowing you are ok!

(((((Lotsa HUGS)))))
    Japanese flowers for you!!!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

CHAZ!!!! Welcome back!!

What? You need bulbs???(email me!!!)

So glad to hear that you are working hard...bet you're happy! Is your spectacular California garden coming together? Iris? Angel's Trumpets? Coffee??

Stay well!
    Kristi

10 years ago

Donna, I cut the basal plate on Lemon Feather last weekend (10 days ago). Just checked...4 new roots starting to grow. It sat idle since I got it, so the new growth is a very good sign.
    K

Original Author
    10 years ago

Kristi, Did you use rooting hormone? I got lazy and didn't use any as I couldn't find where I'd put it! Did you throw the piece of the basal plate away?

Donna

• orchids_grower_1946
    10 years ago

Good morning Donna
    I have Coriensis hybrid,Yume Metai and Moon Shine.
    The only who had flower is Yume Metai.
    Orchids grower

• roberto2
    10 years ago

How long did they get to come from Japan?

Original Author
    10 years ago

orchids-grower-1946

My correiense hybrid was absolutely huge. No blooms though as they had cut the leaves and roots. I'm sure most of these bulbs will all be fine, we'll just have to wait a considerable time longer for them to acclimate themselves. I hope you were pleased with your Yume Mitae's flower, mine is still sulking but a moderate size bulb.

Roberto, From Japan to the U.S. it only took 2 days depending on whether they got held up at customs for an inspection. None of my 3 boxes had been inspected, and they sailed right through. Of course I'd expect it to take longer to Spain, maybe orchids-grower can inform you how long it took to get to France..My boxes were well packed with newspaper although I read here someone else got a box where they forgot the cushioning newspaper and they got a bit tossed around..

Donna

• orchids_grower_1946
    10 years ago

Mine is the size as your Coriense hybrid.
    My Yume Mitai is the same as you too.
    Moon Shine as a Scape but the scape died.
    Each shipment took 2 days for arrivinv to Japan.
    Orchids Grower

10 years ago

Donna, yes to rooting hormone, and yes to tossing the cut piece of BP.
    K

• amaryllisstudygroup
    10 years ago

Only one K. bulb has bloomed. 7 yellow flowers on 2 scapes. 6 pollinated. One aborted. 3 pods selfed. 2 pods x Luna. Pot planted outdoor. Sand on top moldy leaves. BILL WARREN

10 years ago

Bill,
    What hybrid bloomed for you? I ordered 3 early on and they all put out 2 scapes with 2-4 flowers each. Bulbs bought more recently had scapes and leaves cut but I hope for blooms next season.
    K

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Did anyone get the dragon amaryllis they were selling? Those looked amazing.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Aunt Jemima,

I believe only one of these was offered and it went for big bucks!! Hopefully, next time they will have Dragon as well as several others that they didn't offer this time. Something to look forward to and it gives us all time to grow these bulbs on to see how they behave for us. Of the 17 that I bought only 1 is doing poorly, not a lost cause yet but tentative...the rest are all growing roots, leaves or both!

One thing you might want to note about Dragon is that it appears to only put out 2 flowers per stalk, there are 3 stalks pictured in their stock photo. Obviousy it takes after one of it's parents, papilio...

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 8:51

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

17! Ok you better be sharing those pics! :)

I think they sold 2 Dragons on ebay for about $100 each. Would have hoped someone here got one.

Yeah the 2 flowers per stalk thing is kinda annoying but it seems alot of their breeds are like that.

Isn't there a papilio now that has 4 flowers? If so, how can you tell or obtain one?

How can you tell they are growing roots?

• snarfie
    10 years ago

quote: How can you tell they are growing roots?

if you take it up a bit: if it doesn't come loose(?) it has grown roots, and if it does come loose, you can look if there are any beginnings of roots.

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Oh that is a good point. Especially for the komoriya ones since they are polished to a shine and devoid of roots. But the ones i usually get tend to have lots of fleshy roots on them so they anchor well when potted so i am reluctant to pick it up and repot it again. XD

I did try one in a bulb forcer and 2-3 weeks later it grew 2 roots and i planted it. The guides tell you to water once it has sprouted by mine had sprouted long before i put it in the forcer so i guess watering when sprouted is not always an indicator of roots having grown.

• snarfie
    10 years ago

quote: so i guess watering when sprouted is not always an indicator of roots having grown

that's right, i have one here that started putting out leaves, but it had no roots, and i waited a while, and there happened nothing, until i watered it, and at once it grew a couple of roots.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Dry unpotted bulbs would sometimes grow leaves but not roots as there is no moisture around the basal plate to encourage root growth. Leaf growth means that the bulb is awake and ready for active growth thus the need to water them to encourage root growth.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions