Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsier

Questions about seed pod failures

elsier
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is the first time posting here, although I follow other GW forums. I've grown Amaryllis for many years, mostly just the no-name kind sold in a box at Walmart or Lowe's around the holidays. They always flower and reflower, but no seed pods.

This spring, two plants produced seed pods. The first had a really big stem (scape?), so heavy it snapped off. I put it in a vase and was surprised when five seed pods began to develop. Eventually only one was left, the others shrivelled up. Before the pod could fully mature, the stem got soft and finally rotted at the bottom.

The second plant that bloomed stayed on the plant and I tied up the stem to a stick for support. However, that stem got softer and softer, finally just flopping over.

I kept the seed pod from the second plant. It just dried up and shrivelled. I opened it up last week and pulled out some seeds, but they look very dry.

Any suggestions about what happened, what I could have done differently? I dropped the seeds in water; most just drifted to the bottom, a few are still floating. Are they likely to sprout? The weather here in Lexington, KY stayed cold and wet much longer than usual; normally the plants would have been outside, so they weren't getting enough light.

Sorry this was so long. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I read over the other threads, but nothing seemed to really answer my questions.

Elsie

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions