Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dancing Queen in flower

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 12:05

I wish this plant was not a mule--such lovely flowers! Last year was the first year for me, and the flowers were not up to par, and I saw one at the Philadelphia Flower show, also not the greatest, so I was a little concerned.

After a summer outdoors, the bulb is big and healthy, rewarding me with 2 large flower spikes.

You should see my kitchen! I have over a dozen bulbs, some named, some not, in some stage of flowering. I put one of them outdoors in full sun to see how the spike would develop, and it is healthy and strong so far. In the bright sunlight the flower spike doesn't seem to lean toward the sun as much as the ones growing indoors. As soon as the flowers on the others are all done, out they go in their pots to get as much sun as possible. It's remarkable what a difference a summer outdoors makes with these plants. The old 'indoors' leaves burn off in bright sun, but are quickly replaced by more solid leaves that are very firm. Try it!

I have one very large bulb which someone on GW told me is probably 'Red Peacock', and I am not dividing off the babies, to see what the clumping plant does. Because they're all attached and in a 14" pot, even the small offsets are putting out flowers, and there are 4 spikes going right now, approx 3' tall. Would you believe that I have a tomato cage stuck in this urn to support the whole thing?

Here's the pic of DQ:
Photobucket

Happy Gardening!

--Rr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dancing Queen in flower

Good for you! Lovely! I too have realized what a difference the summer outdoors does - many of my older bulbs are close to expiring they are so small, but the newer ones that summered outside get nice and fat, and reward me with blooms.

o
RE: Dancing Queen in flower

Love the two blooms at once...very beautiful!
Sandra :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here