Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

Anyone growing Scadoxus multiflorus?

sun_worshiper
11 years ago

I am curious to know if they set viable seed? Anyone had success with seed pods & starting the seeds?

I have 5 bulbs I traded for last year, and they all bloomed this year. They were gorgeous! It looks like a couple might be forming seedpods - yah! I'd love to try propagating them, and would appreciate advice from anyone who has grown them from seed.

Angela

Comments (14)

• brigarif Khan
    11 years ago

I have yet to see a seed pod on them,although they are blooming regularly for the last 10 years. I thaught it was due to our harsh summer (they bloom arround 1st of June).
    Arif

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Arif. I'll see what happens. I ran my hand over the surface of some of the flowers and it got all coated in pollen, then did the same on the next flower. My thought was that it might be a good way to pollinate them, since I have not seen any insects visit them. The ones I did that to do seem to have more pods starting to form that the ones I did not (maybe 5-6 pods vs 1-2), but not really a scientific enough test to know for sure if it made a difference. Here's hoping I get some seed=)

• brigarif Khan
    11 years ago

I tried the same thing but it did not work.
    Wishing good luck.
    Arif

• Ratan_AM
    11 years ago

Hi there, I got small green seed pods after the flower started to fade and dry. But because I was not interested to get seeds, I removed the flower, moreover I have heard that if you get seeds from football lily, you might not see the blooms the flowing year from that bulb !

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

that is some seriously dry and cracked earth!! I love these blooms!
    K

• Ratan_AM
    11 years ago

Yes, It Bloomed in the middle of Summer with no water around and maybe the bulb is slso cracked inside the soil...

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info & pic Ratan. I am letting mine set seeds this year because I want to increase my collection on a budget. I'll keep track if the bulbs that produced the seeds bloom next year.

• brigarif Khan
    11 years ago

These and the others did not seed.
    {{gwi:415466}}From Spring 2012

Arif

• crazyorchids
    11 years ago

Some of our scadoxus and haemanthus plants self seed but I notice that if you run your fingers over the flowers, say three or four days after the blooms appear, it improve the chances of seed significantly. The pollen will get all over the finger and just run it along the top of the flower "ball" to improve seed germination.

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice picture Arif! I'll have to take picture of my developing seedpods to post.

Does anyone know if these also reproduce through offsetting like a hippi might? So far none of mine have made any offsets, but I haven't had them very long either. I have seen mixed info on the web regarding whether or not they produce offsets. Anybody know for sure either way?

• brigarif Khan
    11 years ago

They do produce offsets but a few.

• Ratan_AM
    11 years ago

Your Seeds might look like these !

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those are some great looking seeds!

Finally got a chance to post some pictures. Here they were when blooming:

{{gwi:415467}}

And here are the ripening seed pods. So far so good!

{{gwi:415468}}

Angela

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Very goodlooking flower!!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions