Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Guess what we just found at the dump!!??

Well, I hope this isn't a jinx, but my husband just found one of those mini and I mean mini refrigerators at the dump! Looks like it aught to hold 4 6 packs of beer, or 25 bulbs Hmmmmmmmmmmm. We plugged it in and it's working, now we have to see if we can regulate the temperature. Like I say, I hope this isn't a jinx, all I need now is some bulbs!!! Fingers and toes all crossed............

Donna

Comments (15)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Donna, I am wondering if you need a refrigerator. When I purchase lifted bulbs, they are never refrigerated. They are room temp. I lifted all of my side yard bulbs last winter and I didn't refrigerate any of them - and I live in zone 9a. You don't need to refrigerate an amaryllis bulb to force it into dormancy, especially in zone 6b. Maybe it is for other types of bulbs that require chilling? Or maybe I am missing something. Would love to learn!

Carol

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Carol, I am under the impression, from several people who participated in last year's Mcguires order, that the bulbs sat and did nothing for a really long period of time. I'm assuming that they were lifted in Aust. fall and wouldn't they need a dormant period before they bloom? They will be (hopefully) arriving in our summer for several hot months, (we do not have air-conditioning) and I assumed they needed a rest. Usually, I take my other bulbs out of their pots after the first frost has arrived or sometime late October, and store them in our unheated furnace room with stays about 50 degrees or a little warmer. I pot them up in 12 to 20 weeks, and they always bloom for me. If I potted these bulbs up when they arrive, wouldn't I run the risk of their rotting? Really, I have no idea what I should do, and I know there are many others who would like some good advise on this subject as well as myself!! Now, in your case, you never really have a winter so wouldn't your bulbs be just as happy to grow as evergreens? And, when you lift them to do whatever you do with them, do you cut off the leaves and the roots? As these bulbs will have had all their leaves (if there were any left) cut off as well as all their roots, maybe after all those amputations, they might enjoy a rest to figure out what the heck is going on!!?? I am open to all opinions and all suggestions will be welcomed on this subject, as I don't really have a clue what I will do!

Thanks for bringing this subject up!!!

Donna

Original Author
    13 years ago

One more question, Can a bulb enjoy a dormancy in temp that run 75 to 90ish?? I just assumed that around 50 would be better, again, any thoughts would be appreciated!! As these guys are tropical in nature, maybe they don't need to be chilled, I don't know what the winter temps go down to in the part of Australia where these bulbs are growing in the ground.

Thanks again,

Donna

• clancy1985
    13 years ago

Hi Donna,

Just as a guide, as web weather channels aren't always spot on for location, where Maguire's farm is had an average low temp of 52.5F (11.4C) and an average high temp of 70.2F (21.2C) for the month of June - if that's of any help???

I've also bought some Maguire's bulbs (yay! can't wait for the blooms!) and they're all sitting there just waiting... But the temperatures in Melbourne are quite a bit lower than where Maguires are, June here had averages of 43.5F (6.3C) to 56.1F (13.4C), if my converter's right!

Below is a link for weather in the area Maguire's is. Hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather near Woombye

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

My Maguires bulbs that I had let had a cool-ish rest (in the garage closet) last year did better then the ones I potted up right away and put out into the Southern hot summer. I think you're on the right track with the fridge Donna. I'm planning to let all mine rest this year when I get them. It's just too hot here where I am for them to do anything now.

Alana

Original Author
    13 years ago

Alana, How cool is your garage closet, is it an underground garage that keeps it a bit cooler? I'm thinking if we can regulate the mini fridge to just under 60 degrees that would be good, and I'm guessing they should be wrapped in newspaper after they dry out for a few days??? If they will all fit in, it's a tiny fridge. We all have to make some serious plans, now that we got the Good News!!

Keep the suggestions coming everyone, Thanks,

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Donna, the garage closet is on a slab and is near the air conditioning duct, so while not 50 degrees, it's probably closer to 60ish. The bulbs there performed better than the ones I put outside at 90+ degrees, with 75 degree nights - our typical for the summer.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

I'm in the south also, Texas. I have never lifted a single bulb. I buy a lot of them every year, no will power, and after they bloom they get stuck in the garden wherever I can find a spot. They will go dormant here, sometimes in winter, sometimes in summer, some never go dormant-doesn't seem to matter the variety as I have several of the same, same location, etc. and they all do something different.
    Forget chilling, last year we had a record freeze but a lot of years it never gets below 40 or 50 degrees here.
    My plan for the Maguires bulbs is to pot them up, stick them with the rest of the potted amaryllis under a tree on the side yard and ignore them. It shouldn't be long now, I gotta go buy some pots!
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Alana, Sounds like the temps I would be hoping for, do you wrap them individually in newspaper?

Tally, When you ignore them will you just water them once when initially planted or will you water them on a regular basis even if it takes several months for them to come back to life? Or, will you just let natural rain be their water? I never know what to do when I get any new bulb, I just pot them up, water them, let them dry out for a week or so and them give a little water every week or so until they start growing! Most of the time it works, but now and then I'll get some rot started on one!

Of course, when working with older bulbs, I usually unpot them late fall, store them in a60 degree room for anywhere from 2 to 4 months, they usually let me know when they are ready.

I'm probably over thinking this scenario and making a problem where there isn't one?? What are the rest of you going to do??

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Hi Donna, I don't wrap mine in newspaper. I have hooks along the side of the closet I'll hang them from - and just use those netted produce bags that oranges or onions come in to put the bulbs in. Just got to make sure they stay with their tags - that I learned from experience.

Tally, it must be so nice to be able to leave your bulbs out year round. Some day I hope to live somewhere that I can do that.

Alana

• beachplant
    13 years ago

They will get watered when it rains or they get a dose while I'm watering every thing else.

It's pretty nice until a hurricane hits! Or a freeze! Either way a good portion of the garden is gonna die no matter what you do. Though I'm still amazed at some of the things that survived 4' of salt water.
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Clancy, I meant to thank you for your weather channel!! And, by the way, which Maquires bulbs could you not live without??

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

I am going to chill a few of mine to see if I can force them earlier. The 2 that did bloom waited until March April this year and it was upsetting that the people who did chill theirs seemed to get blooms much earlier. I think I've ordered 10 or more, so I'll have to select a few to trial with.
    Kristi

• clancy1985
    13 years ago

Hi Donna,

This is my first time with Maguire's bulbs, so hopefully in a couple of months I'll be able to start my can't-live-without list.

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

THe information on the Aussie weather channel tells me why I had such nice blooms on all of my bulbs. It is 52 this morning and our days have seldom been over 74, most of them a bit cooler right now! They must arrive here and feel like they are at home!Just realized I better go buy more clay pots to get ready for the new bulbs arrival.Last years are doing pretty well...all bloomed nicely for me and are growing and healthy still. In fact they are healthier then the bulbs I bought to bloom last winter :-)

Sponsored
More Discussions