Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greybird_keke

Amaryllis 'Mrs. Garfield'

greybird_keke
10 years ago

I recently acquired what I believe to be an Amaryllis 'Mrs. Garfield'. Do they get as large as a regular amaryllis, and are they cared for in the same manner? Any growing advice appreciated :)

Comments (15)

• snarfie
    10 years ago

quote: Do they get as large as a regular amaryllis, and are they cared for in the same manner?

1: as far as i know: yes.
    2: i think so.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

This one likes warm and humid Florida like weather.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I guess that's why mine don't seem to have any intention of blooming!! What they like makes me wilt...;-)

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I gave up on them. Ya just can't have em all. If a plant starts to depress me, they go bye-bye! LOL

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

I do not know how Mr. Garfield, but received from Thailand
    Bangkok Rose last year grew in full sun in a greenhouse at first and then in July in the garden in full sun from morning to evening. He grew up pretty big pile of leaves and formed bulblets - greater than 10. The bulb has increased in diameter by half.

10 years ago

I would say that all three should have the same culture more or less.. so, Oleg.. maybe I should be giving mine more sun! I guess I'll start adding sun in hourly increments and see how she likes it! Thanks, That's why this forum is so helpful, you get all different points of view! ;-)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

My H. Reticulatum is loving the greenhouse window in the kitchen. Donna, we need to compare bulb and leaf size.
    K

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

That's right Donna: add sunlight through the steps! Garden area we have a close: Your 6b, my 6a.
    But ÃÂristi - is Texas, there must have partial shade in the afternoon.
    That is what is written in books that grows wild in the shade - so it's almost the equatorial zone, the shadow of theirs - we direct sun.

• bunnynomnom
    10 years ago

Great growing information from everyone. I really like to have something so reticulated like Mrs. Garfield and have been searching for it. Sorry this is a bit off topic, but how big is a blooming size bulb for Mrs. Garfield and how much is its price range normally? I remember someone said $32 from Glassworks, but that place didn't reply to my email about the bulb size.
    My

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Very pretty leaves!

10 years ago

My,

Telos Rare Bulbs sells them and they refer to them as exquisite little gems, I don't know whether they are referring to the bulb or the flower. I recently bought a bulb from them and it was very healthy and I would reccommend them highly. The only thing is that they have a $40.00 (I believe ) minimum so you'd have to choose another bulb or buy two...I bought two of my choice and they are doing splendidly.

Kristi, those bulbs we bought simultaneously are not keeping pace with each other. Yours were bigger and hardier to begin with than mine but mine are hanging in there but have only put up a couple of small leaves now and then. The leaves on my Mrs. Garfield are far bigger than my reticulatum striatifolium...maybe I should re pot them and see if the bulbs are even as large as a golf ball...;-)

Both my straitifoliums are kept inside all year..Oleg, are yours under glass of some sort or are they out in the open sun and the elements..I don't think I would dare. I don't have a greenhouse...:-(

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Telos Rare Bulbs

• greybird_keke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the advise everyone, I got my plant at a garden club plant sale. It was tagged "Crinum lily" and I paid $3 for it. After I got it home, I discovered it wasn't a crinum lily, and then I had to figure out what it was. I was more pleased with it's new identity! The big bulb is 2" in diameter (is that big enough to bloom?), and it has 3 offsets. I'm glad to hear it doesn't like bright light, because my yard is very shady. In the winter, it will go inside under fluorescent lights along with everything else.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

My retics thrived well outside receiving morning sun in spring till fall. Once winter came and they went inside my cold and dry house beside a bright window, they stopped performing and just withered away. I don't have a greenhouse either. :-(

Perhaps growing them inside a heated aquarium might do the trick. But I ain't going there and get divorced! LOL

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

Donna,
    No, it's normal glass. Unheated greenhouse, that is to take away the winter in the house. Yes, they are out in the open sun.
    On the elements - I do not quite understand. Rains, yes - but not planted in the ground and growing in a pot.
    They do not like transplanting, especially with damage to the roots.