Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Pseudogaltonia clavata and some fun Amaryllid news

bluebonsai101
14 years ago

I got this Pseudogaltonia clavata (syn. Lindneria clavata) last fall and it immediately bloomed and then I kept it growing indoors until Dec after which I allowed it to go dormant. Now that is is summer it is back outside and produced an amazing sight.....2 bloom spikes on the same bulb at the same time which I have been told by the people in South Africa is insanely rare to see so I am excited to have it in my collection......just wish I could have afforded 2 bulbs now!!

Here is a pic showing both flower spikes:

{{gwi:415991}}

And here is one of an individual spike:

{{gwi:415993}}

OK, on to the interesting news from my perspective: About 3-4 weeks ago I was contacted by a freelance photo researcher asking about a pic of a plant she had seen on a forum attributed to me and said that the publishers of an Organic Chemistry textbook were looking for a pic of a Boophone or Crossyne as these plants produce buflavins which are an important natural product for chemistry. In the end the authors picked my picture of a Boophone haemanthoides to appear in the text book.....no royalties will come my way, but honestly who cares....I just thought it was cool to have one of my pics appear in an initial run of 20,000 copies that college students will see!! Anyway, just wanted to share my exciting news and a nice pic of a really unusual plant above :o) Dan

Comments (8)

• phoenixryan
    14 years ago

Congrats on getting your photo published. Sometimes just the personal satisfaction can be reward enough.

As for the photos you posted, they are up to your usual caliber. Phenomenal photos of an incredible bloom! Thanks for posting.

Phx Ryan

• ryan820
    14 years ago

Pretty cool, Dan!!! On both accounts.

And not to sound like a simpleton... but doesn't this flower remind you of a hyacinth? Does this one have a scent?

Rocky Ryan

• blancawing
    14 years ago

Hi Dan,

Your photo of Pseudogaltonia clavata is truly gorgeous. However, the news about the publication of your photograph of Boophone haemanthoides in a college Organic Chemistry textbook is even more fantastic!

Just think about the multitudes of young minds that will be exposed to the beauty and fascinating qualities of Amaryllids because of your photo.

Bravo! I tip my hat to you.

Cheers,

Blanca

• Coralred
    14 years ago

It's a very gorgeous flower. Where can one get this bulb from?

• hatta
    14 years ago

Majestic flowers Dan!

Also congratulations on the inclusion of your photo(s) in the college text book! Must be a thing to remember and tell your friends!

Hatta

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad you liked the pics!! Ryan, yes this is a member of the Hyacinth family so you are right on. Unfortunately, it does not have any smell, but the flowers last a long time since they open from bottom to top....each individual flower is short lived, but the display persists for a couple of weeks or more.

Coralred, I have never seen this available in the states. Mine was imported from South Africa and it is native to Namibia. The bulb was approx 6 inches in diameter and around 13 inches tall as I recall so it is a massive bulb! I was offered 5 of them and took the one....no one else in the group wanted one and then after I had it I all of a sudden had requests for the rest of them and more, but they had all been sold. I have not heard from my supplier in some time now, which is good as I really do not need more plants to deal with.......I need to get rid of quite a few winter growers or evergreen ones the way it is before the cold weather gets here again....or at least my wife tells me I do :o)

The inclusion of the pic in the book is a lot of fun for me. I contacted the author and will get a copy for my shelf which is more than enough payment for me :o) Dan

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Congratulations!!! how exciting.
    You always take beautiful photos.

• frank27603
    14 years ago

Dan- Those blooms are magnificent! So petite and pretty. They do look similar to a Hyacinth. Too bad they don't smell...I love that strong fragrance.

Congrats on your photo credit. That is quite the honor!

-Frank

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions