Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What species are your growing and how?

Posted by jstropic (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 17:44

Just purchased some species and thought it would be helpful to start a list of successful cultivation methods used in growing hippeastrum species. Please add any experiences you have had with a specific species. Thanks - J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What species are your growing and how?

hippeastrum reticulatum var. striatifolium 'silhouette'
mother bulb (bought it with 5 offsets) is making 3 new offsets, i have them in a very light, pretty warm spot, and watering them every now and then.

o

Thanks Snarfie,

What kind of soil mix to you have them in. When you say "very light" do you mean no direct sun light - just bright light?
Thanks for the info, this is a beautiful flowering bulb.
-J

o

right behind a south facing window, in potting soil mixed with vermiculite. also have an red hybrid, and that one is in pure potting soil for over a year, and it had already flowered 4 times in one year (the last 2 flowers were pollinated with pollen from trentino, and with pollen from charisma), and it's self-fertile, so i have 30 healthy selfed-seedlings, and the 2 seedpods are almost ripe now. one is turning light green right now (red(forgot the name) x trentino), so, i'll give a couple of my hippeastrum selfed seedlings away to my brother, and some to my grandma to make place for the new ones

o

Diana Chapman (Telos Rare Bulbs) has been adding information on the cultivation of hippeastrum species - with pics! Great information!
-J

Here is a link that might be useful: Diana Chapman's bulbmaven blog

o

Snarfie,

How great that your brother and grandma share the same interest in hippeastrum as you do!! So nice to share with family.
-J

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here