Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identify old Amaryllis

Posted by panosc North Carolina (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 18:59

When I moved to NC and bought 100 year old house - I discovered an old garden that was completely over run with honeysuckle, winged sumac and wisteria - when I cleaned it out found what I thought were lilies with small oak tree growing up thru them - I dug them up and found 10 bulbs that peeled like an onion - I assumed they were Amaryllis - some of the bulbs were 5 to 6 inches across - I transplanted them two years ago - this year they are blooming, but I can't find anything that matches - I first thought they were St. Joesph Lilies but St. Joesph's are red with white stripe - these are white with single red stripe on each petal - I have a picture but am unable to attach to this message - can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identify old Amaryllis

You can store photos in Photobucket for free. Then, you share by copying in the HTML Code link (3rd option down under the photo...) starts with a < and ends with a >

You'll see the photo when you preview.

You can look through the galleries at Emaryllis and see if you see anything similar!

Good luck!
Kristi

Here is a link that might be useful: Emaryllis.com

o

Crinum lilies? How deep were they? The 'wild' crinum around here put themselves DEEP (1-2').

o

Panosc:
Did the blooms look like this?
I dug up some of these Crinums last weekend. I was driving by an old abandoned place (the old house blew down many tornadoes ago) and saw 3 huge clusters of these plants. I took the shovel and dug up one of the plants. Man the bulbs were huge and so deep. They look identical to amaryllis bulbs. I came home and googled some plants and the pic below is identical to the plants I brought home.
Will you email me your pic and I can post it here for you .
thanks Russ

Photobucket

o

That does seem to be the common wild/naturalized crinum. I see it everywhere around here. This one came up from seed in my yard. The seeds really travel. Wonder what species it is?
Photobucket

o

Jon,I have Crinum of similar appearance,but they have never made seeds. I would love to have the seed.
One way I have always been able to identify Crinum,is that the roots are tougher on Crinum,than Hippeastrum. After a few years,I have developed the ability to seperate them in other ways,but it just takes looking at known varieties and comparing various qualities.Experience, in other words. Crinum roots are quite fibrous,usually.Hippeastrum roots readily break.
Del

o

crinums are much larger and usually form big clumps.
Crinums will produce tons of seeds if the conditions are right, they like hot and humid. The seeds float and will remain viable for quite awhile, I find them on the beach all the time. Big, lumpy, misshapen and fleshy seeds.
This one is commonly known as milk and wine here in the south, also called ditch lilies here.
Some crinums, C. americanum for one, do go dormant in winter but most don't. C. asiactum is a huge plant, mine are almost as tall as me!
Marcelle! My brain worked, Marcelle has a crinum website. Here's the link.
Tally HO!

Here is a link that might be useful: Marcelles crinums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here