Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first successful crosses: furore x trentino & furore x charisma

Posted by snarfie none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 19:02

hello,

i've planted just a couple of them (10x trentino cross, 15x charisma cross), and gave the other seeds away to brother, grandma and a friend who is also in plants. i will post photo's if there is something to see.
how long does it approximately take to germinate? planted the seeds in potting soil, just 2 hours after opening the shriveled pods.

This post was edited by snarfie on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 19:03

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first successful crosses: furore x trentino & furore x charis

Snarfie, some seeds may germinate in about a week or slightly longer. Others take 2-3 weeks. I don't give up until a month has passed.

What germinating seedling mix are you using? Trick is to keep them moist without keeping them too wet. You might try floating some in water too. Good luck.
K

o

Snarfie,

I agree with Kristi that you should try soaking some. I always only use the soaking method and have great luck... that way you can weed out the bad or less vigirous seedings before planting. Here are some seeds from a Bogota cross that I planted up just yesterday...

Donna

o

beautyful little plants, which bogota cross?
i have them in just potting soil, but i spray the potting soil with water when it's drying out, so that won't be the problem (3 months ago selfed furore, and almost all the viable seeds germinated, so they wont be too wet or too dry if i give them the same treatment)

o

Snarfie,

I did a couple of Bogota crosses this year this one being just a last minute decision. First I did Bogota x Sweet Lilian and they are growing on, secondly I did Pink Panther (a large Australian pink) x Bogota and those are vigorous too. The above seedlings are of Clown x Bogota, probably not the best decision but they took and are growing like crazy...
It's always the crosses that you don't really want that grow like crazy.

Donna

o

soil wasn't a good idea this time(too hot?), lost around 15 seeds, so i put the ones that were still good on water, and now there are 3 left of charisma(1 is making its first leaf, 1 is making the 'bulb', and one is making roots, and has a mini bulb ), and 4 of trentino(2 showing their first leaves already, and 2 growing the 'bulb' in water )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here