Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What goes up, must come down! I can't believe it fit in the bag!

Posted by kaboehm 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 19:04

Last Oct/Nov I put the new "popup" greenhouse up. Once it came out of that bag at setup, I never thought it would ever go back in! Because the old smaller greenhouse lasted 3 years with year-round exposure to the hot Texas sun, I thought I would take the new, bigger one down for the summer to see if I can extend the life of it.

Getting it down and flat wasn't too hard. Getting it folded and in the bag was another story. I got it folded to where it sort of fit in the bag (about 4' across and the whole deal weighs about 60 pounds). It was already well past 90 degrees and I went in the house to cool off, change clothes and rethink things.

When I got back out, I realized that if I turned the folded greenhouse in the bag so the shape of the "heap" matched the shape of the storage bag....it fit. I even got the zipper closed after putting in the shade cloth, the stakes, and the instructions on putting it up and taking it down! (Putting it up is much MUCH easier).

So....all the shelves, pots, scape stakes, and extra shade cloths are all stored on the "foundation" for another 4-5 months, when it starts all over again!

YAY!
K

All plants out photo IMG_4051_zps08e344ba.jpg
All the plants are out

Empty photo IMG_4052_zpsb84130fc.jpg
Empty and ready to collapse

Coming down photo IMG_4053_zpse1a2a58f.jpg
Pulled all the supports out

At least it's flat! photo IMG_4054_zps2dbd5d21.jpg
It really is flat!

Almost in the bag photo IMG_4055_zps55016f0c.jpg
The folded heap in the bag

In the bag photo IMG_4059_zps5af29677.jpg
Hard to tell, but the bag is zipped!

New storage area photo IMG_4060_zps54f31d1a.jpg
All the stuff waiting for the next season (I suppose I could disassemble all the shelves, etc...but at least they are out of the way!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What goes up, must come down! I can't believe it fit in the b

Wow! You made a formidable task for two men look easy and you did it all yourself! Congratulations!!

o

...and I did it in my "usual workclothes"! The seller claims one person can do this. Darn thing was huge! Because there is no floor, screen is exposed to the ground while folding. I imagine I may find a tear or two this fall!
K

o

Wow Kristi - that is amazing! Down and away in a day - and in the hot Texas sun no less! -J

o

It actually took about 30 minutes to empty it and another 30 minutes to fold, wrestle (would have been a funny video), and bag it. Another 5 minutes an hour later to shift, turn, wiggle, push/pull, and zip the bag up! I was beat for the rest of the day! It's not the heat so much, it was the humidity!!
Haha
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here