Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bad sprouts

Posted by sun_worshiper FL 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 19:44

Any idea what is wrong with these? Most of the seeds I have started using the float method look good. However, I have had a few that got all weird and spotted, then died, while still floating. The float trays are all next to each other, so conditions are pretty much the same for those that did well, and those that did badly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bad sprouts

In Florida, no need and not beneficial to start in water. Only creates extra steps, requires extra time, slows down germination and allows for more opportunities for loss from either rot or breakage in transfer to soil. Start directly in soil. See link below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Germinated Seeds - Soil

o

Thanks Carol. I have tried planting in soil, using the set them sideways half buried method. That gave me about a 40% germination rate. With floating, I average 80% germination, with nearly 100% for the more robust varieties. It does also seem to point out which varieties like those above that are weaker. I'll have to try starting some seeds buried and see what kind of rate I get. Once I have transferred the good floated sprouts to soil, the containers go outdoors in partial shade, and they do great.

o

Ah.... I know the problem ... don't set them sideways. Lay/press them down flat. Same as Arif and me - see link below. We both get a very high germination rate. Do not "bury" them. Follow the instructions that I linked above and if your seeds are fresh, you will get 90%+.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Arif sowing seeds

o

Your way looks a lot easier! I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thanks!

Angela

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here