Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkaegardner

Amaryllis color change

jkaegardner
13 years ago

I have had the same Amaryllis bulb for 5yrs. When it was first purchased it was in a typical narrow tall pot and bloomed a beautiful double headed pink blossom. That following winter I placed the bulb (still in the soil)in a small barrel with a lid in a cool (40 to 50 degrees)room in our home. In March I would take it out and water it and keep it in a solarium in our home and it would slowly emerge and in May I would plant it outside along with the many babies it developed. For the next 3 years I would repeat the same steps and it has continually bloomed the double headed coral pink color. For the first time this year, I decided to leave it in the pot, keeping in mind that the bulb was still in the soil from the garden it was planted in the previous spring with only a small amount of topsoil added in the last week before it bloomed. This year, it's 5th year it bloomed a very vibrant RED. Could someone please tell me why this would happen? One of it's offspring's is still in a pot and is still Pink.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath
More Discussions