Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karanb1r

mosaic virus. laaaaast question!!!!! experts please help!!!!

karanb1r
11 years ago

I will upload 4 pictures. Please let me know if any of these are infected. I am not an expert but becoming a bit worried. These are not the bulbs I was sent so I may have gotten it from an insect bite... Or hopefully the leaf is just getting ready to turn yellow..

anyways here are the pictures. EXPERTS PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!

SAY YES OR NO, and how CERTAIN. Like 50% sure or 80%...

{{gwi:417330}}
{{gwi:417332}}
{{gwi:417334}}
{{gwi:417337}}

Comments (6)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Absolutely 100 percent virused!! So Sorry.....

Donna

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

KB2

The first 3 pictures.. to me.. are absolutely virused (in my estimation), the forth picture may or may not be, it's got those spots as in your pictures in your other post that "may" be insect related. So I'm not so sure as I look again at your pictures about the last one...

Remember, this is just my opinion, but I've seen many virused leaves in the past few years and I'm am positive that your leaves are virused. I hope others will jump in and give their opinions also, I am NOT an expert just going from my own personal experience!

I am afraid this is something that sooner or later ALL of us are going to have to deal with in our own way..we either do our best to live with it or we destroy our collection, start over, and most likely go through it all over again in a few years..since the virus does not always show up right away..

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

I agree that first 3 are 100% virus. The last one just looks blotchy. These aren't your H George are they?
    Kristi (KB1)

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are h George unfortunately, but the seedlings I have are on the other side of the property and show no signs whatsoever. I will discard all the bulbs that show signs of the virus.

To prevent it from spreading. Or do you think it is too late?

• chalcedony
    11 years ago

I am a newbie gardener. I have had amaryllis growing for two years disease free; however this year I have had to dig up and trash 4 plants due to the mosaic virus. From the pictures you have displayed I would say 100% your plants have the mosaic virus. Although I can look at a plant and tell it has a virus I do not know how to keep my other Amaryllis from getting the virus. Please help me so my other plants will not be infected. Thanks

• npublici
    11 years ago

It has been my experience that any Hippeastrum within a hundred feet of one known to be infected can be suspected of having the virus,especially if the other plants have shown signs of insect damage.Some of my plants took two years to show symptoms of mosaic. Some may never have recognizable symptoms,but will provide a source for the insects to spread mosaic.
    If you grew them in the ground,dig deeper and wider than any root of an infected plant grew and dispose of the soil.Wash the shovel where the mosaic won't drain to soil.Sterilizing the shovel, after washing, with a propane torch is an added measure.If you grew it in a pot, throw pot and contents away. I burn the bulbs, so no one will think they found a prize in my disposal.
    Del

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions