Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariava7

H. Santa Fe

mariava7
16 years ago

My biggest surprise when I got back home from my vacation was Santa Fe. It greeted me with it's striped fragrant trumpet blooms. I find it so pretty I can't stop myself from taking pics of it...lol! Enjoy!!!

{{gwi:417807}}

{{gwi:370076}}

{{gwi:417809}}

{{gwi:417811}}

{{gwi:417812}}

{{gwi:417814}}

Comments (8)

• soultan
    16 years ago

How can I get one? If I cannot buy one locally, I will have to order it from Royal Colors.
    Though I have problems with their flowers right now.
    Promise turned out to be Flaming Peacock, and Flaming Peacock turned out to be Blossom Peacock, so now I don't have Promise, but have two Blossom Peacocks that I bought from somwhere else already. They owe me a Promise next season.

• palmcoastgarden
    16 years ago

That is such a pretty crisp pattern: very nice.
    Soulton, I am surprised that you had so much trouble with Royal Colors. Was that from your end of the season order? I had a substitution in my order, but RC contacted me, via email, before the order was shipped, to get my OK.

• dizzy77
    16 years ago

What a stunner! It must have been a nice welcome home surprise! Such clear and precise markings.
    Lovely.

Di

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear about that Soultan. You won't have to worry about Royal Colors though. They have excellent customer service.

• soultan
    16 years ago

When there was a substitution, they contacted me... But actually the bulb that was LABELED as PROMISE turned out to be Flaming Peacock and the bulb that was LABELD as FLAMING PEACOCK turned out to be Blossom Peacock. So they were not substitutes. They were mislabeled bulbs. One mix-up is fine, because I wanted Flaming anyway, and I bought a bulb. But I have my third Blossom Peacock now and no Promise at all. So I will send them an e-mail as soon as I see all of my doubles from them bloom. I just don't want to be a nosy customer and send them an e-mail ever week. I will wait, collect the taken pictures, then let them know all the mix-ups, and what I'd like them to do for me to fix it.

• soultan
    15 years ago

My Santa Fe is just sitting there planted for a year, as if nothing happened. No leaves, no blooms, no softened layers, completely anchored down in the planting medium... I wonder when it will decide to wake up. Maybe I will have to contact Willow Creek Gardens and ask them for advice. I ordered two bulbs from them. Royal Duch rotted to death, and Santa Fe is behaving like this. Nice.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I have a couple of bulbs doing exactly the same thing, just sleeping away... Amputo is sleeping and Misty is also sound asleep. They didn't bloom last year, either. Very sleepy bulbs!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The trumpets should be resting at this time of the year. Just let them be, very little watering if they have leaves on. They would usually wake up like Mar. or April for me. My trumpets that did not flower for the first year after usually flowered the next year. They do take more time to get established to our growing conditions. My Pink Floyd I did that to me. I planted the newly puchased bulb and it just sat there for months doing nothing. Then leafed out and gave out babies summer time, slept with leaves on winter time, and flowered come next spring. I think once they have established themselves to your growing conditions, they will perform better.

The featured Santa Fe above did not flower till late summer/early fall this season.

Striped Panther is the most robust of them trumpets, refusing to sleep and still leafing out in the unheated garage. I am still searching for info if it has Papilio in it's genes as it is performing just like Jungle Star and Papilio...winter growers.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions