Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vriesea

New comers Photos

vriesea
13 years ago

Hi everyone

i had posted a short introduction a couple of days ago and posted some piccies of what i used to do on a previous thread done by Xuan under " Maria ,Supreme garden is blooming " and Xuan suggested that i should start a new thread as people may not see what has been posted ,so at the risk of boring you i shall repost the photos in a new thread ,that way it may start a few questions ,so here we go again ,Ok ?

Ok , this is " Bali Hai "

{{gwi:414557}}

This is " Blushing Bride "

{{gwi:414558}}

This is " STardust "

{{gwi:414559}}

this is " Jupiter "

{{gwi:414560}}

i have posted some info on Xuan threat about these plants , bear in mind i never registered any of mine and so some names my overlap , will post others when i get time , Cheers Jack

Comments (8)

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Jupiter is awesome! Well, so are all of them but I am partial to red.
    Thanks for sharing
    Tally Ho!

• clancy1985
    13 years ago

Hi Jack, nice to 'meet' another gardener from Australia. With your interest in bromeliads I would presume you live somewhere in the north?

I love your Bali Hai, the colours look like a rich, burnt orange/red. Lovely.

• vriesea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Clancy

I actually live on the North coast at Port Macquarie NSW.and yes i also was impressed with the " Bali Hai" there where a number with those sort of colours out of that cross ,will post some other piccies later ,30 + years ago there was nothing like these available ,i should get back into Hippies ,probably will after this season depending on what flowers and what i can get hold of ,i have no plants left but my friend Tamera has about 30 bulbs of mine so it should be ok ,whites will be the biggest problem ,most of the commercially available bulbs of whites lack proper shape and have weak texture ,am a bit dissapointed in how little things have advanced ,

Cheers ,Jack

• clancy1985
    13 years ago

Hi Jack, that's great you've still got access to some of your bulbs. It'd be nice to kind of pick up where you left off after so many years of growing. I'm afraid I don't have a large collection at all, but if I have spares of something that interests you I'd love to share.

• vriesea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Clancy

I apriciate your kind offer and i may take you up on that ,i will see how i go for time as the Bromeliad project is becoming quite large ,have around 100000 seedlings in all sizes to take care of , as well as adult plants , but the Hippies are just so lovely ,i noticed that in my white and pink crosses you would always get a quantity that germinated with white or pink leaves ,the grow normal green leaves but these always gave the better coloured flowers , i will post some other piccies but they are downloaded from colour prints so they are not great or clear but will still give a idea ,most are on 35 mm slides
    and that makes it a tad difficult ,but will try .when using Papilio ,its always best to use it for a pollen parent , much better results in colour and pattern ,
    Jack

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

The Blushing Bride and Star Dust perhaps from the same pod are perfect flowers and my choice.
    Arif

• vriesea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Arif ,

Thank you for your kind comments and yes they are of very good shape , most of the seedlings out that cross all had the classic shape ,it makes up for the ones that are not so good ,no matter what sort of plants i have hybridised ,i always write down everything so i can work out the good from the bad parents ,
    Cheers my friend
    Jack

• dangles
    11 years ago

welcome jack im in brisbane and have a large collection with many pups this year i love the first and last flowers and would love to do some swaps with u some time if u wish i also do a lot of my own crosses but have not learnt how to post pictures yet keep up the good work would love to see more of your crosses regards danny

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions