PapMinPic

haweha
10 years ago

from
H.papilio x ("Minerva" x "Picotee")

ENJOY!

Siblings (1) and (2) from PapMinPic
{{gwi:418543}}

PapMinPic1 is possibly the most spectacular Knight Star Lily that I have ever created
{{gwi:418545}}
PapMinPic2 - their maiden bloom 2 years later after PapMinPic1
{{gwi:418547}}

I pollinated almost my whole lot of bloom from "Striped Panther" from "PapMinPic1" - it is fair to assume that I can expect but very little seed from this crosspollination [DIP] x [TET] if AT ALL.
{{gwi:418549}}
Interestingly, the flowers would fade almost immediately; less than 24 hours after I had dusted them.

EDIT in 04.Sept.2014: I obtained numerous seeds but few germinated. I have ONLY 16 strong seedlings from this project, which is more than I expect THOUGH

This post was edited by haweha on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 12:56

Comments (64)

• haweha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay I understand...

(A x B) x (C x D)
    means,
    the primary hybrids (primary=in regard to my breeding project or family tree if you will)
    A x B
    and
    C x D
    were created in the first place.
    Then these primary hybrids were crosspollinated
    (H.papilio) x ("Minerva" x "Picotee")
    means,
    a hybrid from "Minerva" x "Picotee"
    had been used to pollinate H.papilio.
    I could also have written
    H.papilio x "MinPic"
    if you will.
    The appearance of this "MinPic"="Minerva x "Picotee"
    had been:
    {{gwi:375775}}

• haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here we go again!
    New season, new performance: After continuous cultivation at 23ðC indoors, then moved out, in June, on the Balcony, but safe from rain. No "technical" reposal period - the subtle temperature drop from in- to outdoors does the job. Superior performance from a stronger bulb under unfiltered Sâ¼N light:

{{gwi:418550}}

The third floret of the first scape is a complete flower with 4+4 Segment, 8 Anthers, and 4-part-Stigma:

{{gwi:418553}}

The second scape has 3 florets on it too.

• lenanen
    9 years ago

Very nice!

haweha thanked lenanen
  • kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Dear Hans-Werner,
    It looks like PapMinPic is at its prime! Very lovely indeed.
    All the best,
    Kristi

haweha thanked kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"At its prime"
    The same applies for PapMinPic2 (1 scape two florets)

{{gwi:418556}}

It resembles a "Flamenco Queen". Fortunately I have two bulbs of this commercial hybrid, and I will not hesitate and crosspollinate with "PapMinPic" if I manage to bloom them coincidally next season. So far I have only seedlings from "PapDon1" x "Flamenco Queen" - just "two leaves old".

• jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! - J

haweha thanked jstropic (10a)
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I arranged them a bit, using Adhesive Tape, to have both flowers look into the Camera:

{{gwi:418559}}

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

They're all lovely! I just love looking at photos of my favorite flowers!

Nicely done!

haweha thanked jodik_gw
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Jodi!
    Now I am waiting for the Seed Pods to mature, specially from the one Tetragonal floret of PapMinPic1, the shape of which Pod is to become comparable to a "Bishops Head Cover". I had had hitherto, but one flower of this kind, from "Limona" and the respective Seed pod, but, hélas, I missed the occasion to document it. I have pollinated ALL flowers: "PapMinPic1"[self] and "PapMinPic2" x "PapMinPic1" and I consider providing my friends with the seeds thereof. I AM already raising 12 good seedlings of "PapMinPic2" x "PapMinPic1" and 24 of "PapMinPic1"[self] from last year. Spotted Knight StarLilies rock! I hope that the other 16 seedlings, namely from "Striped Panther" x "PapMinPic1" will be spotted AND fragrant. These infos are meant to indicate that I am far in better moods NOW than I used to be THEN, when I neglected and subsequently lost numerous Hippeastrums.

This post was edited by haweha on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 18:09

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Dear Hans-Werner,

So happy to hear that these latest beauties have lifted your mood!

You have much to celebrate.

Kind regards,

Blanca

haweha thanked blancawing
  • mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

Hans,

These crosses are so beautiful! You have done amazingly. The PapMinPic2 takes my breath away!

Keep up the good work and keep sending the pictures!!!

Nancy

haweha thanked mitsukiwi
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your input.
    Long ago, yet one close up on the bloom from the 2nd scape of "PapMinPic1"

{{gwi:418562}}

And now, here it is, the tetragonal Seed Pod (the "Bishop's Miter" which, btw, also the tetragonal Cactus Astrophytum myriostigma is called) from the 3rd Floret of the 1st scape:
    {{gwi:418563}}

This post was edited by haweha on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 18:00

• haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For a nice memory...

{{gwi:2122633}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Lovely butterfly shape on your seedpod, hope all the seeds were good and produce lovely flowers.

Donnaâºâº

haweha thanked dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

removing duplicate post once again...

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 18:01

• jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

That looks just like a butterfly - did you keep it Hans? Your hybrids are always gorgeous ad thanks or sharing all your pics! - J

• haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Almost 12 months later - here we go again!

Two 4-packs from the original seedling bulb.

• haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here we can study differences between "PapMinPic1" and "Ambiance"

• jstropic (10a)
    8 years ago

Well you did it again Hans -- your gorgeous pictures have encouraged me to try my own hybrids with papilio! Thanks so much for sharing your experience and results. - J

• haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Everybody can build their own stock of H.papilio, since this Species Amaryllis, at least the "common clone" thereof (which is evergreen and self sterile) will multiply well from daughter bulbs. If it receives good care, then the mature bulbs will occasionally produce an unexpected scape any time or another, totally beyond the regional time frame I mean, which offers the opportunity to pollinate from any other Hippeastrum which happens to bloom coincidently. I have right now one scape emerging from my stock, which comprises of 24 bulbs which I "rescued" after some neglect until 2013. The common time frame for bloom from H.papilio is, in my region, the end of October to November

• oleg9grower
    8 years ago

Thank you for sharing of information and images. I now that a year out of luck. I have it blooms in September, then there is no flowering hippeastrum. And unfortunately, the pollen is not in the refrigerator too.
    But it is possible - it is fate sends me to a different type of crosses?

haweha thanked oleg9grower
  • haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My collection is not "gigantic" but it is fair to say I have something in bloom throughout the year. Which is largely owed to the circumstance, that I do not put my Hippeastrums, at least the vast majority of them, into cold storage during winter, which would synchronize them to produce their bloom in spring.

• oleg9grower
    8 years ago

I have to send in the cold storage plant in the winter because at that time a little sunshine. Lamp lighting is not cheap. we have.

• haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The expenses for artificial lighting are considerable, you are absolutely correct. I use a very large home made reflector, which focuses the light onto 4 square meters, and I have reduced my total electric power for lighting to 500 watts at 4 hour intervals on-off (which I consider more effective than "12 h on, 12 h off") which accumulates to a monthly electric energy consumption of 0.5 kW x 12 h/day x 365/12 day/month = 219 kWh/month which costs me 55 Euro/month which is by far less if not even a fraction as compared to, for an example, what a passionate smoker or a collector of jewelery might spend for their passion.

• oleg9grower
    8 years ago

Of course, you're right. But this amount is 55 euros - in our country for the average person a lot of money! Thoughts do not have to remind you that we in the east of my country are hybrid warfare with Russian mercenaries. Every day, they kill and maim people. That's the situation ...

• JoshY
    8 years ago

Hans, I am always blown away about how amazing your plants are. Do you register any of your plants? You should start a Hippeastrum company ;)

haweha thanked JoshY
  • haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

the mother...

I am standing in awwwwwe

I consider back crossing from "PapMinPic1" on one floret

• lenanen
    8 years ago

I had to dig this thread up for obvious reasons... ;D

PapMinPic1 is indeed a splendid specimen.

haweha thanked lenanen
  • haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The second scape from the Daughter bulb...

• haweha
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I am obtaining a very satisfying performance from my stock of PapMinPic1, namely 5 scapes from the Mother- (=original seedling-) and 2 Daughter bulbs, with 4 florets each, and PapMinPic2 (1 scape with 3 florets, from the "seedling bulb" which is yet to produce ANY daughter bulb). I think it is fair to say that this is my very best accomplishment; well, AS YET.

PapMinPic1
    PapMinPic1 and 2

7 years ago

Simply stunning!!

haweha thanked dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
  • edubose98
    7 years ago

Love them!

haweha thanked edubose98
  • haweha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just realized that the first images, those are hosted by photobucket, do no more show up in this discussion. Can anybody who reads, please include a feedback here whether THEY, that is YOU can see the pictures in question, that is, of Dec 7th in 2014 and before?

• Ayina
    7 years ago

I can't see the images until your post on August 2015

haweha thanked Ayina
  • Elena75
    7 years ago

Very beautiful seedlings! Too bad i could not see the first images at the beginning of the topic.

haweha thanked Elena75
  • Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Congratulations!!! They are very delicately beautiful. I especially like the shape and the picotee edging on the blooms. Your hybrids are always so wonderful, please keep the pictures coming :-)))

haweha thanked Fred Biasella
  • haweha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your responses. Please check again, the pictures reappeared - awwh what a relief.

• agapanthe64
    7 years ago

They are gorgeous ! And all those aulicums behind !! it seems to have so many flowers .

haweha thanked agapanthe64
  • catsandhippies
    7 years ago

So beautiful! Thank you for showing and also for encouraging us to create our own crosses. Although this results in having seedlings everywhere...

Anja

haweha thanked catsandhippies
  • haweha
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

As indicated in the head posting, "Striped Panther" x "PapMinPic1"

Now I have three seedlings in bloom (no fragrance, hélas), but the outstanding siblings is

The Diameter of the flower is just 12 cm, and its length is 9 cm without the ovary, so it is but remotely a "trumpet". I consider the red edges, most conspicuous on the lowermost floral Segment, due to the heritage of "Picotee".

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    6 years ago

They are beautiful Hans-Werner!! Fantastic!!

haweha thanked kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
  • haweha thanked dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
  • jstropic (10a)
    6 years ago

Hans, this is stunning!! The shape is beautiful and the colors so strong and vibrant. Very nice. - J

• blancawing
    6 years ago

Enchanting! Would you please post photos of the other siblings? Thank you.

• haweha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Of course...

the third floret of the "outstanding sibling"

Another sibling, with greenish flowers, which are bigger, one scape, 4 florets, 13+ cm in Diameter

And a third sibling, with two scapes, 4 small florets each, just 11+ cm in diameter, and the flowers are conspicuously drooping.

• Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

Hans,

Each one more beautiful that the other :-))) Congratulations, they're all quite stunning!!

Fred

haweha thanked Fred Biasella
  • blancawing
    6 years ago

Many thanks, Hans-Werner! Wonderful results.

I am always interested and curious to see the flowers that you consider to be less than outstanding.

• haweha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Unfortunately I cannot include pictures here...

Enjoy "PapMinPic1" on the green-24 page

• haweha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

That was a good idea, PAVEL.

Thank you!

BTW, in the second Picture, at the bottom left side, what you see is a bunch of leaves of a Cluster of Scadoxus multiflorus (hybrid Blood lily).

Sponsored