PapMinPic

Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 4:57

from
H.papilio x ("Minerva" x "Picotee")

ENJOY!

Siblings (1) and (2) from PapMinPic
 photo 8584_zps02beee47.jpg

PapMinPic1 is possibly the most spectacular Knight Star Lily that I have ever created
 photo 8586_zps9a4a968d.jpg
PapMinPic2 - their maiden bloom 2 years later after PapMinPic1
 photo 8585_zps962ae072.jpg

I pollinated almost my whole lot of bloom from "Striped Panther" from "PapMinPic1" - it is fair to assume that I can expect but very little seed from this crosspollination [DIP] x [TET] if AT ALL.
 photo 8599_zps20bec7f5.jpg
Interestingly, the flowers would fade almost immediately; less than 24 hours after I had dusted them.

EDIT in 04.Sept.2014: I obtained numerous seeds but few germinated. I have ONLY 16 strong seedlings from this project, which is more than I expect THOUGH

This post was edited by haweha on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 12:56

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PapMinPic

Hans,
It is great to be seeing more of your crosses! The new one may not be as striking as its sibling, but is beautiful nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

Bill

o

Dear Hans-Werner,

Truly remarkable. I love how the petals of PapMinPic1 gently curl back a bit to emphasize beauty of this bloom. The color/markings are very striking.

Kristi

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 9:26

Very well observed Kristi!
This subtle folding, of the two lower part of the lower Tepals on the left and right side, enhances the attractiveness of the flower a lot. BTW: PapDon2 does exactly the same thing (but PapDon1 does not, nor does PapMinPic2).
As far as I remember, the flowers of "Fledermaus"="Mocca" do the same. But I must look this up

o
Partial folding

Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 9:31

Very obvious in PapDon2

photo 6060.jpg

o

Both are very lovely!!!
I do like PapMinPic1 also for it's clean and well defined beauty. :-)
Good luck with your Stripe Panther pollination. Hopefully the siblings would inherit the fragrance and most importantly, Stripe Panther's flower count.
Question: Do you still consider PapMinPic as a TET even if they have diploid genes (papilio) in them?
Thanks for sharing your pretties!!!

This post was edited by mariava7 on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 9:50

o

Hans-Werner,

Very beautiful, once again. I'm still in love with PapDon2 though... Here is a picture of Mocca for your comparisons...

Donna

o

Hans,

All of your crosses are so beautiful. You have been so successful with your crosses that it is almost impossible for me to pick a favorite - especially since I love the elegance of papilio.

Question: Are there many cultivars available of papilio and are there differences. (self fertile, set seeds, appearance etc). Thank you.
-J

o

Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 18:11

Thank you all, for commenting!
"PapMinPic1" and "PapDon" (1 and 2) are all self fertile and they are all capable of pollinating "Ambiance" - which means they BEHAVE like TETraploids.
Maiden bloom of "PapMinPic1" had been an umbel of 3 florets, and 4 flowers the season thereafter, and now 2 only - I do not know why...
Donna, thank you for showing "Mocca" I wonder whether it is indeed a Papilio hybrid.
As to H.papilio itself, my only experiences are from the "common" clone which is traded worlwide..

o

Jody,

If you click on the link Leena provided in her seeds in Arctica thread it will take you to Mauro's Brazilian website which lists and shows pictures of several different strains of h. papilio...

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 18:33

o

Fell in love with your flowers... Especially PapMinPic.
Question - how is it possible to pollinate papilio with 2 other varieties, isn't it one 'mother' and one 'father' flowers in the end?
Such a beauty!

o

I think I misunderstood the question so I removed my answer... ;-)

This post was edited by dondeldux on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 16:29

o

Thank you Donna!
It all makes sense to me now and I will definitely try to pollinate my flowers next time.
Although it's hard to have such strikingly good results as haweha did :)

Rimma

o

Rimma,

I'm not sure if the question you asked was correctly anwsered by me as I think I may have misunderstood what you were asking and I probably should have let Hans-Werner answer. So, I am going to remove my answer...;-)

Donna

o

Donna,

I don't know if I understood either, and hope that Hans-Werner may provide some insight. I have attached a thread from 2 years ago where he provides photos of many of his crosses.

Instead of 2 pollen parents, it only appears to be 2 because the pollen donor may have been a cross of X and Y.
K

Here is a link that might be useful: Miscellanous Hippeastrums 2nd set of 2011

o

Okay I understand...

(A x B) x (C x D)
means,
the primary hybrids (primary=in regard to my breeding project or family tree if you will)
A x B
and
C x D
were created in the first place.
Then these primary hybrids were crosspollinated
(H.papilio) x ("Minerva" x "Picotee")
means,
a hybrid from "Minerva" x "Picotee"
had been used to pollinate H.papilio.
I could also have written
H.papilio x "MinPic"
if you will.
The appearance of this "MinPic"="Minerva x "Picotee"
had been:
 photo 3900.jpg

o

Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 12:50

Here we go again!
New season, new performance: After continuous cultivation at 23°C indoors, then moved out, in June, on the Balcony, but safe from rain. No "technical" reposal period - the subtle temperature drop from in- to outdoors does the job. Superior performance from a stronger bulb under unfiltered S☼N light:

photo 100_2402_zps3600841d.jpg

The third floret of the first scape is a complete flower with 4+4 Segment, 8 Anthers, and 4-part-Stigma:

photo 100_2401_zps0a5c2367.jpg

The second scape has 3 florets on it too.

o

Very nice!

o

Dear Hans-Werner,
It looks like PapMinPic is at its prime! Very lovely indeed.
All the best,
Kristi

o

Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 10:34

"At its prime"
The same applies for PapMinPic2 (1 scape two florets)

photo 100_2429_zps71d5313e.jpg

It resembles a "Flamenco Queen". Fortunately I have two bulbs of this commercial hybrid, and I will not hesitate and crosspollinate with "PapMinPic" if I manage to bloom them coincidally next season. So far I have only seedlings from "PapDon1" x "Flamenco Queen" - just "two leaves old".

o

Gorgeous! - J

o

Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 9:15

I arranged them a bit, using Adhesive Tape, to have both flowers look into the Camera:

photo 100_2444_zps84cd933b.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here