Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The seeds germinated, now what?

Posted by dianashh 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 5:40

Hello... This year I got loads and loads of amaryllis flowers, and that resulted in over 500+ seeds! :) So for the first time I decided to collect the seeds and try grow them, I thought I'd experiment with a few first so I used to floating method and in 2 weeks the leaves appeared as in the picture, any advice on what to do now? shall I just plant them in a tray with soil leaving the leaf and the seed out and burying the root? I'm doing this for the first time so any advice would help! Thanks! Oh also I live in Jordan, otherwise I would've been happy to send you guys some seeds....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The seeds germinated, now what?

Mother plant

o

Hi Dianashh,

The sprouted seeds in your picture look like they are ready to plant.

Now I'm assuming it is really hot in Jordan, being a zone 10, so I would probably suggest that you pot them up in smaller community pots for at least a year and grow them indoors and then when they have a little size to the bulb, probably the size of a chick pea, I guess I would then plant them outside in a location that wasn't full sun.

As you apparently have so many seeds to play with you can try it various ways; actually sowing the seeds directly in the ground or germinating them in water and then planting them directly in the ground as well as growing them inside for a year.

You have lots of seeds and many choices, Good Luck...Donna☺☺☺

o

It would be interesting to hear how Arif grows his seedlings. He's in Pakistan and has the hot summers too, much more extreme than here in Texas!
Kristi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here