Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kinghaven_gw

Pollen Collection

kinghaven
14 years ago

My Tosca is in full bllom with two scapes. I have crossed what I have blooming with it but I would like to keep all of the pollen from the second flower. I have read many ways to do this but I would love to hear from evryone here that has already done it. The methods range from very easy to very complicated and some of the supplies are hard to find so the less complicated way is I guess what i am wanting to go with. I will try to get a good pic of the Tosca, the color is very hard to capture even with my camera which is very nice, at least i thought it was until i took 30 pics and all are a little different in color from the actual plant.

Comments (9)

• mariae
    14 years ago

Hi, as to storage pollen, I first cut the pollen sacs with a little nail scissor and leave it on a paper towel to dry, then I put it on one of those little paper envelopes (you can do one with any paper if you want) and put it on a ziplock inside the freezer. As for how long it will last I think it could last up to a year or so, but I am not completely sure, may be some one with more experience can tell.
    I hope it helps you, Maria.

• phoenixryan
    14 years ago

Wanted to bump this up, hoping some of our experts can offer up their techniques.

• houstonpat
    14 years ago

Howdy,
    The way I save pollen is to use tweezers to pull the anthers off and drop them in a clean film cannister (or any other small container) I label the cannister and put it in my refrigerator. To cross pollenate, I just take the tweezers and pull out an anther and drag it across the stigma until it's covered with pollen. I throw any leftovers out after a year.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Similar to the film canisters (which are becoming dinosaurs), I am using the ketchup/catsup holders - WITH LIDS - that you can get from some fast food places. ("Five Guys" hamburger restaurant has them. A great excuse for a really unhealthy meal.) I thoroughly wash and dry them. They work great. You can write on them directly with a sharpie or use white adhesive labels.

{{gwi:418819}}

Carol

12 years ago

Also meant to add that I always cut the pollen off. Pulling it off with tweezers doesn't seem to work for me. Those filaments are attached tightly! (Maybe it would work better if I only pulled the anthers but I hate to touch them directly with the tweezers.)

Here's my cutting method. The stamen (with the pollen-covered anthers on the tips) are shorter and above the stigma, the female part of the flower. It is easy to hold the plastic sauce cup just below the stamen but above the stigma. Before you cut, make SURE that the stigma is separated and NOT where you plan to cut. (If you cut off the stigma, you will not be able to pollinate this flower.) Then cut slowly across all of the filaments, dropping the anthers into the cup. Cut slowly because if you snip quickly, the anthers can fly off and not land into the cup.

Have FUN!!!!
    Carol

• txgrnhs
    12 years ago

some posts recommend drying before storage. i wonder how long the pollen remains viable once removed from the plant, when held at room temp.

• Carl
    12 years ago

Very long. I've read on a german forum that pollen stayed viable in an open container on a dark and dry spot on a shelf for over a year. I woundn't put to much effort into storing this stuff!

12 years ago

Good post to bump at this time of year.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Here is a good technique written by a friend of mine Jim Shields that he uses to save his pollen. He does this from a scientific standpoint.

It has many details, you'll have to scroll down past the Lachenalia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Shields Method To Saving Pollen

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner