Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

My Oborozuki is blooming on a very long, leaning stem. It's quite pretty and more yellow than I've been able to capture in my pictures. I was planning to put Miss Lemon pollen on a couple of blooms but the pollen opened before I could remove it so there might be a couple of selfs. She is also rooting fairly well.
This was a bulb Komoriya sent me in as an extra along with a replacement for one that died and I am pleased with it. I froze the pollen.

Donnaâºâº

This post was edited by dondeldux on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 8:41

Comments (30)

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

It's gorgeous! I like the long, slender, more feminine petals... and of course I like the color! A real beauty!

I've been out of the loop for so long, I have no idea about newer sources, variety names, etc... but she sure is a looker!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Boy, Am I a Dummy!!

This isn't Oborozuki, it's KOGANE NO SATO, Oborozuki is sitting next to it and my mind transposed the tags. Anyway, what ever her name, she's very pretty, thanks, Jody...

Here is Oborozuki, I may have already posted her picture.

Donnaâºâº

• jessiann63
    9 years ago

Donna they are both beautiful no matter what their names are!

Louana

• jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

Donna,

So glad you are finally seeing some growth and of course the beautiful yellow flowers! These bulbs take dedication and lots of patience :) - J

• sun_worshiper
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I didn't realize there were any yellows, thanks for sharing!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Seems to me that Komoriya has MANY yellows (and I feel like I have 1 of each!) I have made a few crosses with these as seed parent. They are the tiniest seedlings with thin leaves.

I think this is my Kogane no Sato...
    K

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Really beautiful... all of them! Thanks for sharing, Ladies!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kristi, Your Kogane no Sato doesn't look much like mine does it.

Miss Lemon was one that I really liked but hard to get going. I lost the first bulb to sickness but they did replace it for me but I can't seem to get the second bulb to root even though it did bloom for me.

Miss Lemon:
    {{gwi:419110}}

Piyo-piyo was another. This picture shows it being darker than the others and I think I remember it was. All my other yellows were a bit darker than the pictures but none quite as yellow as Piyo-piyo.

{{gwi:419111}}

Lemon Gold was nice too, a soft yellow that gave me 4 good sized flowers. This was one of the very first bulbs I bought and it bloomed right away. It then rooted and about 6 months later it sent up another scape with 2 homely flowers. Now, is sits like a rock and tried to put up a leaf which promptly turned brown. I don't know what the problem with these bulbs is. Some of them are fine and some of them still haven't done a thing for me. I have one other yellow, Yellow Gorgeous which is now the size of a marble and certainly on it's way out... never bloomed and never rooted. All my bulbs have had the same care and culture. I tried rooting hormone and that didn't work either. I give up!!

Lemon Gold:

{{gwi:419112}}

That's it for me for the yellows. At the time I tried to get a seedpod on Lemon Yellow but it failed. I haven't bothered to try to hybridize with any of the other yellows although when removing pollen they had the opportunity to self. I don't think anything I could hybridize would be any better than what I already have.

LIke Kristi says, some of these bulbs put out the tiniest embryos. Someone from Europe sent me some seeds of Chico x Yumi Mitai and a few of them made it and they are the tiniest things I have ever seen. I am leaving them in the water as long as I dare before I plant them.âºâºâºDonna

9 years ago

Here is my Oborozuki.
    K

9 years ago

Here is a comparison of my H. Evansiae (top) and my Piyo-Piyo (bottom)

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Okay, now I'm drooling! Just gorgeous... every single one!

9 years ago

Jodi,
    You missed the entire Komoriya buying frenzy...with bulbs priced from $20-$60+ each!
    Kristi

9 years ago

Oh....this thread isn't complete without Lemon Feather!

Original Author
    9 years ago

I inadvertently managed to self two pods on my Kogane no Sato while removing the pollen and the pods are growing. These are the smallest seedpods I've ever seen!! Of course they are not that far along, but I think it's interesting that you can see the individual seeds. Looks like 9 seeds in this pod. These seeds will be very tiny and will produce extremely small seedlings. I'm not sure if I will bother trying to germinate them...Donnaâºâº

9 years ago

Deletion of near duplicate post!
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 22:08

9 years ago

Donna, I made that same self. The resulting seedlings are very tiny and threadlike. A lot of work. I hope they make it!
    Kristi

• ton2
    9 years ago

Hello all Hippeastrum lovers

I was reading all your messages and saw all kind of photo's from yellow flowering Hippeastrum hybrids.
    Now Iam searching some of these.
    I am a private collector of Hippeastrum hybrids and species in the Netherlands.
    Does any one have perhaps some offsets for me?
    Perhaps we can help each other

9 years ago

Mine aren't setting any offsets. I bet Komoriya will be selling again soon.
    K

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

Saw one on eBay just this morning from Komoriya.
    Maida

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ton,

None of my Komoriya yellows are doing that well. A few did bloom and most have rooted but most don't even have leaves yet! So, as far as offsets it will be a very long time before any of them will be vigorous enough to reproduce.

These bulbs are so expensive I think that if and when they do, I would most likely keep them to offset the cost of the bulbs or in case the mother bulb should die.

As Maida has noted above, they are now starting to relist hippeastrum and I'm sure many of their yellows will be relisted.

Donnaâºâºâº

• chinhster
    9 years ago

So Lovely!
    I am so happy to be in this time of year! Spending my days tracking down pre-orders with the myriad of vendors from April. I can't wait to get my hands on this year's bulbs! Happy growing, EVERYONE!

• orchids_grower_1946
    9 years ago

It is my turn to put a photo.
    Orchids

9 years ago

What is the name of this bloom? Is it very small?
    Kristi

• orchids_grower_1946
    9 years ago

It is a small one about 4 cm of size.
    He come from the Komoriya_nursery.
    Orchids

• orchids_grower_1946
    9 years ago

Moon shine it is one other small one it is about 4 cm of size

9 years ago

Orchids,
    What is the name of the yellow and orange bloom above?
    Thanks,
    Kristi

• orchids_grower_1946
    9 years ago

It is Petit Chaton and he come from the Komoriya_nursery.
    It is one of the small one bulb about 4 cm in diameter.
    Orchids

• Edie
    9 years ago

Petit Chaton (Small Kitten) is a great name for a tiny flower. I wonder what it is about yellow hippis that makes so many of them such delicate plants. I'm still learning how to care for the strong Dutch varieties, so I have no yellows, but I am enjoying the eye candy on this thread. All of them are lovely.

• ton2
    9 years ago

thank you all

Original Author
    9 years ago

Orchids,

Your Moonshine is very pretty! I too have a Petit Chaton but mine hasn't bloomed yet...Thanks for sharing your photos and please share anything else from Komoriya that you are lucky enough to have bloom for you, we would all love to see!

Donnaâºâºâº

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions