Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amaryllis,'Royal Red'.

Posted by glengarry23 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 8:50

I tend not to be attracted to plants i have to take indoors over the winter as i don't have a lot of space,..however i was smitten when i admired a friends amaryllis and took the plunge,..took home a bulb in October 2013 and here it is in December 2013.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amaryllis,'Royal Red'.

Very tall with blooms six inches across and lots of blooms.

o

Here we are in early July 2014 and its in bloom again though the blooms are much lower but just as big as last year,..six inches across.

o

Now i can understand why members grow Amaryllis/Hippeastrum,..i am hooked.

Philip

o

Phillip,

Beautiful photos. How lucky to get blooms this time of year!!

If you live in zone 8, you shouldn't absolutely need to take them in, you could just mulch them. They should even survive in the ground covered by a heavy mulch. What's the nearest large city to your home? Others on the list, who may live in your area, can share growing hints if we know the area where you live.
Kristi

o

Hi Kaboehm,
Ahh the area i live is classed as a zone 8 as its nearest to your zone 8,..i am in Ireland in the Midlands,..very flat area where we get on average 200 rainy days per year,..we do get a heavy ground frost but no snow since 2010 so i must try leaving my flower in the ground and as you suggested covered with a heavy mulch,..that is hoping i can find a space though i will certainly create one as Amaryllis are worth the effort.

Kristi,..see the link below and what i mean about needing space lol.

WATCHED 24:49

Philip

o

Ok Philip,
You can DEFINITELY grow them in the ground. That's AMAZING!!
Kristi

o

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Lucky is the grower that has the option of growing them in the garden! I'm so jealous!

o

Hi Kaboehm,
thank you Kristi for your nice comments and i received your message but no way to reply,..i choose background music from New Age Music,..relaxing type,..from YouTube Videos,..i copy the music from a video and use it sometimes with permission of the composer however most composers allow the use providing the composers name is given,..this also helps them promote their compositions,..'Llewellyn',..is one of the many i use as it suits my videos.

Philip

===============================================

Hi jodik,
Our weather here is described as having no climate,..mild mostly,..lots of rain and mists but no set climate,..now that Kaboehm has put me wise about Amaryllis i have started making plans to have an Amaryllis Bed,..knock on wood.

Philip

o

Keep us posted. I'm sure you can make some room in the garden!!! Your garden is just amazing! Makes my yard look weedy!
K

o

Hi kaboehm,
will do Kristi,.. i have a spot picked out and just have to shift some plants.

Philip

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here