Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion Plants

Posted by sun_worshiper FL 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 10:09

I'm trying to grow hippeastrums in a few areas of my yard that are not ideal. The non-ideal spots are too wet, and get too much direct sun. But I've been having some success with companion plantings, so I thought I'd share.

I have intermixed hippeastrums with Curcuma alismatifolia (siam tulips). They have a long bloom season, from late June through August or Sept, thrive in full sun, and need a lot of water. This is my second year of my experiement, and it is going well. The foliage is about the same size as hippeastrum foliage, and provides some shade to the hippeastrum leaves without shading them out. Its high water needs in the peak of summer helps to suck extra moisture away from the hippeastrums at the peak of the summer wet season when they are most prone to rot. It is a clumper like hippeastrums are, so intermixing clumps works well. It is also winter dormant, and is still dormant during the hippeastrum's bloom time, so it doesn't obscure them. And it is beautiful! Check it out:

Hippeastrums in spring:

And curcumas in the same spot in summer:

And a close up of the flower for those who haven't seen them before:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion Plants

Your plantings are beautiful! I hope to have some nice flowerbeds some day! The dogs like to run through the beds due to wildlife on the other side of the fence.
K

o
RE: Companion Plants

Thanks! I bet dogs make it very challenging. I don't have any pets, but the sandhill cranes do sometimes mess up the beds, digging holes as they search for food. But they are so cool - hard to complain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here