Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Fall offerings....a chat

Well, it's nearly mid-July and in past years the list has been buzzing about who has received what catalogs, who is offering what specials (order them before they are sold out) and what are the new offerings for the year.This year, you can hear the crickets chirping, it's so quiet!

So, why isn't anyone posting anything?

I've only received a couple of catalogs so far, and one of the early arrivals (van B) has definitely raised their prices by nearly $2/bulb or more; this is the company that you have to buy in "lots" of 3 and prices had been 3/$21-27 last year...now it's 3/$32!

I am not making any recommendations with the following text and I can't attest to the health/condition of anything that you'll receive from some of these sellers (reports of mealy bulbs from some and virused bulbs from others). Royal colors has their offerings up for the fall shipping dates. I stopped by Living Gardens (nothing) and ETGB/WCG (nothing new except a double white...? Snowdrift?). Brent and Becky's have 4(!) amaryllis offered. WFF doesn't have the fall selection posted yet. Edens Blooms has only 13 Hippeastrum and the prices also seem higher. Blooming Bulbs is having a sale and has a nice selection....but nothing new and higher prices than usual. American Meadows has listings...expensive. Michigan Bulbs has one I've not heard of before (H. Irish Legend...a green double?) and....Eden Brothers doesn't have fall listings yet. SO WE WAIT!

OH...forgot that Barnhoorn Hippeastrum has many pre-release sales...new blooms not available anyplace else (see 4th message in this thread for link).

IF YOU WANT A HUGE LAUGH, go to TyTy....they aren't clear on what anything is: "Exotic Star Amaryllis (also called Papillio), Nymph Amaryllis (also called Aphrodite), Ferrari Amaryllis (also called Red Lion), Samba Amaryllis (also called Star of Holland)" BTW...their site is still very suggestive!

HMMM....wonder what wholesalers are paying? (my price lists from suppliers look unchanged from 2013)

So, that's all I can report this morning!!
Kristi

This post was edited by kaboehm on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 14:32

Comments (25)

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

I haven't had money in years to indulge my wants... so I try to just window shop. It's perfectly okay, though... with my move comes a new set of growing challenges and I doubt adding anything before I figure everything out would be wise.

I'm actually thinking that I might switch my main interest to the orchids I've always wanted to try growing... but I'll always have a fond spot for bulbs!

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

Royal Colors has some doubles that look interesting as well as Multoflora Striped and Yellow Gardens and one called Jewel of the Night that I think I will order.
    Maida

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh! I do like "Jewel of the Night" from Royal Colors! I may have to beg, borrow or steal this coming Hippi season! ;-)

Blooming Bulb does have some nice prices at the moment... I just love "Jewel", and "Graffiti" is so nice! Oh, and look at "Rilona", and "Dancing Queen"!

I guess I'm still addicted to bulbs! :-)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops....almost forgot that Barnhoorn Hippeastrum has some prerelease specials!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonatini.com

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh! I like "Ratatouille"!

Thanks for all the suggestions, Kristi! Even 'window shopping' is fun!

I'll know later this summer if I'll be able to order one or two... I was kinda saving my pennies for an orchid, but... bulbs keep calling! :-)

• oleg9grower
    9 years ago

Very nice, only the Jewel Of The Night is the same as the Black Goddess of the Russian forum. ))

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Because nobody sends out free catalogs like they used. I have to beg or pay for catalogs now. Everyone wants me to order online instead. I need to see the photos and read about the seeds before I want to buy them.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe since I am a annual customer, I've received at least 4 amaryllis catalogs. Some have always been online (RC, ETGB, BB, EB, BB, etc.). For amaryllis, you can always find an online description of the blooms.
    K

• nagano274
    9 years ago

It is always a very tempting experience viewing catalogs in that it is nearly impossible from refraining in buying anything from them. They do display flowers in their best blooms...

Taking about catalogs...
    A friend of mine from Queensland, Australia has sent me this beautiful photo of a very old heirloom variety 60 years+ I am attaching the photo for you all to see. Can anyone please identify it, surely you won't find it in a catalog, maybe a close descendant of it...

Big thanks for your replies, very much appreciated!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Likely a hybrid of H. Vittatum. I love the ruffly edges and had that show up in some of my blooms this year.

I have the list of named/registered hybrids at home, but imagine that 60 years ago the list was quite limited. Also, what is from Australia may not be registered with the KAVB....Dutch Bulb Growers Association. I think an H. Vitattum hybrid is a good catch-all!

It's likely a fragrant hybrid...lovely!

Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Nagano,

I've seen pictures before of hippie flowers from Australia that look like your heirloom and the name was "something" Lace. Maybe the first part of the name will come to me. I've always admired it too.âºâºâºDonna

Original Author
    9 years ago

Nagano,
    Does that Hippeastrum have the variegated leaf I see, or is it another plant? Very striking!

I admit, I am far more familiar with the Dutch registered bulbs vs the bulbs developed in Australia. We've seen so many beautiful bulbs from all over the world!
    K

9 years ago

Nagano, Do you think this is your flower? I knew I had seen something very similar several years ago and I had saved a picture of it!!âºâºâºDonna

{{gwi:419344}}

9 years ago

Here is a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Stella Lace on this website

Original Author
    9 years ago

A Google search also returned "Stellar Lace"! Love how the names vary!!

Found an AU site that sells some different Hippeastrum.
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum.com.au

• nagano274
    9 years ago

Yesssss that's it spot on Stellar Lace! The blooms look remarkably the same.
    Seeing through this Australian website I am seeing some new names I had not seen ever before of which Stellar Lace is one of them!

Thank you!!

PS I do not think the variegated leaves shown in the photo belong to it, I am assuming it has normal green leaves like the one in the bottom left corner.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bump...what are you buying??

Original Author
    9 years ago

I just placed my Royal Colors order....10 bulbs! A few I've had in the past but need to replace and several new ones. Come on October!!
    ;-)
    K

• lenanen
    9 years ago

Well, Kristi, what did you order?!

I've been playing the To Order or Not To Order -game for some time now. 'Jewel of the Night' is a nice one and so is 'Ice Queen', that one I've been hoping to get for some time. But so far I've been able to fight the urge...

The thing is my older bulbs are doing well and the baby bulbs are growing well so space is very limited at the moment and the little extra there is I want to save for my own future crossings.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Quick list...a couple replacements, a couple additions, and several "new to me" bulbs.
    K

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

If I add anything this year, it will probably be a new "Minerva"... I do have the one, but I really, really want to find a second good, sturdy, hardy, healthy bulb like the very first one I ever got!

I neglected that first bulb horribly... and it treated me to a show every year, and grew like crazy! I had it for the longest time... years and years... well over a decade! I want that potful of mother/daughter bulbs again! :-)

• lenanen
    9 years ago

Very nice list Kristi.

'Daphne' at RC interests me also, so does 'Sao Paulo'. Have these varieties been for sale before? has anyone ordered them before? experiences?

• lenanen
    9 years ago

Oh I almost forgot. I have one order in already, I thought to give it a try and through Kristi's Sonatini.com link ordered two types of Sonatinis: Fluffy Rascal and Ratatouille.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lena,
    I haven't seen those two hybrids for sale before. I also have some Sonatinis on order. I'd really like a real La Paz that doesn't end up being Tango...I got a bulb this year from a local sale. It was in a paper bag and somehow I missed checking it. All the bulbs were fine, but the one I didn't check was totally mummified. They replaced it with a plant in bloom. It looked suspect, but I took it (sun damage, insect damage, or... virus?). Turned out to be heavily viruses. Ugh.

I'm sure I will find other bulbs I have to buy. I have a houseguest coming in January, and need to plan some blooms for them. The greenhouse won't be spectacular until March or April.
    K

• janartmuse
    9 years ago

Back to the catalogues! Unless I overlooked it, no one has mentioned John Scheepers (Van Engelen is their wholesale branch) in the US. They offer quite a few amarylli and I have always been really happy with the size and health of the bulbs. They also send me physical paper catalogues every year. I get my tulips from them, too. I assume they also have an online catalogue.

I've been enjoying looking up some of everyone's favorites! Royal Colors is too expensive for me, though perhaps some day I will be more flush. Even so, a lot of their varieties also appear in Scheepers and Van Bourgondien. I got 'Exotic Peacock" last year from Van B. and loved it. Was surprised it was so good, as their tulips, etc. have not been in the past.

Every year I splurge on one or two varieties, getting 6 of one to share with my family and friends at Christmas. "Ambience", "Dancing Queen" and "Elvas" so far have had the biggest raves from my family. Oh, also "Rosalie", who is a light salmon color. Very beautiful. This year everyone is getting "Double Record". My sister, Karen, particularly likes the picotee edges on things.

Budding orchid grower - if you get your first ones at Trader Joe's (my biggest source, as they are cheap and have a lot of variety), check the root systems before buying, and if it is in spaghnum moss, I highly recommend immediate repotting in bark. The spaghnum tends to get soggy and salespeople I think overwater. I have bought a couple in the past with no living roots other than those that are reaching above the little plastic pot. If there are a lot of those, it's ok, once you repot with them in the bark. The oncidium relatives like smaller bark, and mixing that with perlite assures good drainage.

Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with amarylli! Best to you all! Janine

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21
More Discussions