Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Amor'yllis

Posted by losman Maine (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 11:05

When I rang her door bell on our first date, I had my amor-yllis in my arms and ready to greet her with its new buds! I had no idea this plant would live through 4 years of courting and blooming on nearly every anniversary. This year I proposed and she said yes! The Hipster reacted like the Spanish word 'Prometido' (Spanish for engaged). A new blossom soon flowered a few weeks later. Then again the week of our wedding we were surprised to see the second flowering 4 months after the engagement. This time new leaf shoots came out of its perimeter.
The question: should I break off these shoots and plant them? Should I leave it alone and re-pot entire plant with "babies" in a bigger container ( it is in a 8" pot now).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Amor'yllis

Repot the mother and offsets in a larger pot. Let the offsets grow until they have a well-established root system of their own. Doesn't hurt to keep them together.

What hybrid is this special bulb?
Nice story!
K

o

I agree with Kristi, keep the family together until the offset bulbs have some size to them (golf ball ) and by that size they should some established roots of their own.

This is a special bulb to you and your sweetheart indeed! With some TLC it will last as long as your marriage! Good Luck with both!!

Donna

o

Thanks to Kristi and Donna for the quick replies!
The bulb is a Gilmar. I hope it lasts a good long time! I will repot the whole family until it is time to devide. Thank you both!

o

No wonder you love it!! Gilmar is a beauty, I've never been able to fine one for myself!

Royal Colors has a new variety called Barbatos which looks pretty close, I may have to try one...

Donna

o

Awww...such a sweet Amor story.
I loved my Gilmar!!! It is robust, fertile and a performer.
Unfortunately I had to include it in my "amaryllis mass execution" a few years back. :-(

Gilmar I in 2008

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here