Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
java_j

Maybe I'm Amazed - Estella

java_j
14 years ago

The last time I posted about Estella, I was about to give up on her. As a last effort, I decided to try cuttage after reading about Jodi's experiment with Emerald.

Jodi, how did your attempt at cuttage go? I cannot recall the name of the thread.

In April, I cut what was left of the Estella bulb into 4 pieces. I put two pieces into each of two zip lock bags, filled with pre-moistened vermiculite. The link at the bottom is my last post on Estella.

The first week in June, I noticed that one of the pieces had molded. I tossed it. The other 3 pieces looked slightly green.

Now, mid-July, two pieces are showing small bublets. I don't know about the third.

One of the pieces with new growth.

{{gwi:420050}}

The piece with potential. In other words, I don't see new growth, but it is not dead.

{{gwi:420052}}

The next piece showed new growth, but also fungus or mold on the outer layer.

{{gwi:420054}}

I took the piece out of the bag and removed the diseased layer.

{{gwi:420056}}

I was hoping that I would find roots, but not yet.

I put it back into the bag of vermiculite.

{{gwi:420058}}

When I got around to looking more closely at the pictures, I began to wonder if I had removed all the mold/fungus or whether there was more just waiting to grow.

At this point, what do folks recommend? I suppose that, at the very least, I should dust the pieces with fungicide.

For the two pieces with new growth, should I keep them in the zip-lock bags? Should I move them to pots with seed starting soil? There are no roots. I would not want to lose them to fungus or mold at this point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Estella - Time to Try Cuttage?

Comment (1)