Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum bukasovii Blooming!

joshy46013
12 years ago

Hi guys!

Here is a very, very beautiful species blooming for me, Hippeastrum bukasovii, it's found in the Peruvian Andes. It's one of the most beautiful Hippeastrum, I hope you guys enjoy ;)

{{gwi:420387}}

{{gwi:420388}}

Comments (64)

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Joshy, what is your potting media that you use for this species?

What other species do you grow?

I grow some hippeastrums species, but a lot of hybrids too!

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rainforest,

I grow this one in a pretty organic medium with really good drainage, the mix is as below:

1/2 Orchid Mix With Charcoal, Perlite, Orchid Bark
    1/2 Humus With A Little Granite Grit

I grow about 40+ different species and varities of species and only about 10 or so hybrids. I grow many species from all over!

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Very good, I will keep you in mind for pollen exchange if interested. My bukasovii hasn't bloomed in a while but have a batch of mandonii and a different form of psittacinum that are near blooming size. I believe the psittacinum may be a hybrid, but cannot substantiate this until I see the flowers.

The bukasovii's I have are planted in a mixture of LFS, NZ bark, charcoal, pumice and redwood soil conditioner. They are planted in mesh pots and hung like an orchid plant using wire tongs that hold the pot edge.
    Thanks for your input.

• brigarif Khan
    12 years ago

What a beauty, thank you for showing
    Arif

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

Hey Josh--did you ever get seed from your bukasovii?

--Rick

• fishrico
    6 years ago

You have a most beautiful plant. I had several growing in a pot from bulbs I collected while on an orchid hunting trip to the Andes in Peru. Sadly grubs got into the pot and destroyed all the bulbs. I of course was quite upset! Trying to get a replacement is proving to be a real challenge.

• haweha
    6 years ago

Did you actually discard the bulbs? You can rather grow little bublets from, what them "grubs" left, IF they left some part of the basal plates (this is crucial!) - after cleaning and disinfection and prolonged humid incubation in vermiculite or peat moss at 26 degrees Celsius in a bag.

• fishrico
    6 years ago

There was little to nothing left of the bulbs. There were about 10 bulbs, some fairly large. The damn large white grubs ate j everything and left nothing to work with. Fortunately I have a few other cultivars that I quickly powered with orthene, and they survived just fine..

• fishing_dentist
    6 years ago

Hello! fishrico where in Peru did You pick them up?

• fishrico
    6 years ago

I
    wish I could tell you. We flew out of Miami to Lima, then flew to Cusco. In
    Cusco we boarded a private bus and headed deeper into the Andes Mountains. It
    was a 10 day trip and we stayed at several quite primitive villages. The bus
    trip through the Andes was very memorable as several times I looked out the
    window of the bus and the tires were inches away from a several thousand foot
    drop, on one lane roads. Most
    of the orchids and amaryllis we collected by walking into jungle areas.
    My
    only regret was not seeing Machu Picchu as we broke down at 13,000 feet up and
    it took several hours to repair which prevented us from our plan to visit the
    ruins. Returning to Miami with the proper cites permits and a broker to help us
    through customs was a giant bureaucratic fiasco...

• fishing_dentist
    6 years ago

Will do the inca trail this year with some friends. Maybe i will see something, to take pics in the natural habitat.

• fishing_dentist
    6 years ago

Wich time of the year You have been?

• fishrico
    6 years ago

I wish I could remember when I went. The weather was mostly nice. As far as picture taking goes, you will have many, many things to photograph! The little ladies with the derby hats make great subjects. The flowers and landscape are spectacular too. I wish I could go again, but alas it is not to be. Somewhere on my computer, I believe I still have hundreds of photos I took on my trip to Peru.

• Pavel
    6 years ago

Is there someone who had H.bukasovii blooming the last years?

I know, Telos has been blooming lately.

I'm sure to welcome some nice photos. :) (also plant without flower)

• agapanthe64
    6 years ago

Hi pavel I grow bukasovii from Telos , but they are too small to bloom...... This winter they seemed to want to loose their leaves so I left them go into dormancy , one wakes up now , slowly.

Do you know if it is an evergreen ?

• Pato pato
    6 years ago

Hermoso bukasovii ! No logro conseguirlo!

• Pato pato
    6 years ago

Te

• Pato pato
    6 years ago

• Pato pato
    6 years ago

Hippeastrum Iguazuanum

• Pato pato
    6 years ago

teyucuarensis en 2017

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    6 years ago

Pato Pato

Thank you for posting photos of these outstanding flowers!! I can't decide which I love best, both having the large green star in the throat which I love so much!!

Please post more of your lovely flowers if you can, we all love to see them!!

What is the flower in the second picture in the upper left? Could it be a healthy example of Cyberspace or is it a species?

Donna

• JL (Zone 6B MA)
    6 years ago

Beautiful flowers! I especially love Iguazuanum

• Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

Hola Pato Pato,

I love your teyucuarensis :-)))) I have been looking for this species for a long time, hopefully someone will have it available soon. Good luck with yours.

Carinos,

Fred

• Pato pato
    6 years ago

Muchas gracias! Yo colecciono especies e hibridos de amarillys, zephirantes y habranthus.

este johnsonii lo cruce con Papilio.Ahora tengo semillas.

• Fred Biasella
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Me imagino que seran preciosos!!!

I'm sure they'll be amazing!!!!

6 years ago

Johnsonii x papilio?? ;-)

• haweha
    6 years ago

He says, indeed "Now I have seed thereof"

Did you notice that both scapes of "Johnsonii" have 8 florets?!

The scape on the right side might even have 9 - Incredibile!

6 years ago

I did!!! So, these are johnsonii and he now has seeds x papilio!!??

• Pavel
    6 years ago

I grow H.bukasovii as evergreen. However, I observed two seasons in the year when the plant enters the sleeping period (similar to H.papilio). In autumn / winter I lose my leaves for me and then the bulb is extremely sensitive to rot! Once a bad watering during the rest period, bulb can to rot and mean its death !!! Therefore, my recommendation is - during the winter, while it is sleeping not watterl (or very little from the bottom of the flower pot). During the spring / Summer, I put it in my green house in the 1/2 shadow

Bulbs likes to change the temperatures by day / night. I use a highly permeable mixture for cultivation - keramsite / hydroton + perlite + cocosubstrate + bark. It must not hold moisture very long !!! This is true in my cultivation conditions. Now my bulbs are satisfied.

I bought these bulbs very small from a man from the USA via Ebay, so it can come from Telos?

Please excuse my bad English.

Pato pato - very nice flowers. :)

• jstropic (10a)
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for posting these photos! It is so good to see bulbs that are being cultivated and gives us the opportunity of asking questions.

I agree with everyone, your Johnsonii are amazing!.

I also have H. Bukasovii from Telos, but it has not flowered for me.

• agapanthe64
    6 years ago

Pato , I never saw such beautifull Johnsonii ! you grow them directly in the soil or in pot ?

Jody and Pavel , I hope we'll share photos of our blooms soon.

Pavel , I use a substrate similar to yours (with coco fibers , clay balls , perlite , small pine barks ) for 1 plant and it is doing very fine , and a more mineral one for the other one , and this one isn't happy .

what about you Jody ? how do you cultivate yours ?

• Pato pato
    6 years ago

Hola.tambien.

• Pato pato
    6 years ago

Hola.johnsonii tanto en cantero como en maceta crece muy bien

• Pato pato
    6 years ago

• Ron Rico
    6 years ago

If anyone has a H bukasovii bulb for sale please contact me at fishrico@aol.com. Large white grubs destroyed the ones I had. :o(

• rredbbeard
    6 years ago

Ron Rico,

My condolences on the grubs attacking your bulbs. I had a run-in with NBF (narcissus bulb fly) a couple of years ago and lost a few nice bulbs.

Lesson learned! I found that there is a granular systemic insecticide made for roses, but which works well for bulbs. The smell is terrible, and you should be careful that soil from treated plants doesn't make its way into food crops. Apply the material during NBF's egg-laying season at least.

Wonderful pictures here, everyone!

Rick in CT

• Ron Rico
    6 years ago

Thanx Redbeard, I had some other pots with species Hippeastrum which I powdered with orthene and it's been over a year without further damage.

• Pavel
    6 years ago

Beátrice,

This is a beautiful big bulb! It's about 5-6cm?, I assume :)

Tomorrow I add a photo of my 2 bulbs, in one pot.

• agapanthe64
    6 years ago

Yes Pavel , excatly 5.5 cm , you've got the eye ! (french expression , I don't know if that can be say in english !!!)

Thank you very much for showing your plants , they are very different with mines , mines grow in a cold greenhouse , where temperature can go to 5°C , one is completely dormant (the one of the photo) , and other one has got leaves but doesn't grow. ...sure they can't grow with those temperature....I cross finger they don't rot !

I brought the third one at home recently after reading your posts , maybe it could wake up ?

They had a good summer growth , buth this winter is so sad and rainy , not good for my plants.

I'll take new picture for showing you. :-))

• Pato pato
    6 years ago

Pavel , Agaphante 64 quisiera bulbo de bukasovii . No logro conseguirlos!!!tengo otras especies.Les dejo mi correo si les interesa.No se como comunicarme por mp

• agapanthe64
    6 years ago

Pato Pato , I am sorry I don't have any bulbs to share , I bought mine at Telos rare bulbs .

• Pato pato
    6 years ago

agapanthe 64 gracias por responder! he entrado a la pàgina y no hay disponibles. Si sabes de alguien que tenga a la venta o intercambio me avisas? igualmente busco Pardinum. Muchas gracias!!

• Pavel
    6 years ago

Pato Pato, these bulbs (very small) I bought through Ebay for a few years back from a US seller.

Now it's hard to get anywhere. Sometimes Telos sells young plants.

• fishrico
    6 years ago

'I'm still looking to purchase seeds or a bulb to replace my lost H bukasovii.

• berkeleysgr8
    5 years ago

I wish I could help you, fishrico. I don't grow this species. She is a beauty though!

• youngbotanist11
    2 years ago

Hey guys, been a long time since anything was posted here. Lately I've seen a few offers of the species, and I really want to grow it. I just don't know whether it's possible to grow with my conditions. I live in Israel, pretty close to Tel Aviv, so the climate is warm-mediterranean. It can get to 40 celsius during the day as the hottest (summer) and 3 celsius during the night as the coldest (mid winter). These are of course extremes, and don't occur all the time. Generally, I'd say there's about a 10 Celsius decrease day-night when it isn't very cold. Humidity is usually pretty high, though this can change when it's very hot, and get to about 20% RH. Usually it's more than 50% RH, with many days of 70%+. I'd grow it in my balcony, which has full-half shade most of the time, besides dormancy and maybe when it's too hot or too cold for it, in which I'd bring it inside. To rise the humidity, I'd of course spray it with water at least once a day.

I'd like to know whether you think growing this incredible species could be possible in these conditions. Thanks in advance.

• fishrico
    last year

A follow up to my H bukasovi1 post. I was able to trade with a grower in Nebraska for some H bukasovii bulbs. The larger ones are just starting to bloom, :o)

• youngbotanist11
    last year

Wow! Please share some pictures:)

• fishrico
    last year

It will have to wait till the next bloom, as it was several weeks ago they bloomed. "Just starting to bloom" was a month or more ago. :o(

Sponsored
More Discussions