Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

What to pollinate San Antonio Rose with?

sun_worshiper
9 years ago

My in ground plant has two spikes about to open. They consistently bloom now rather than spring. So my question - will crosses retain that late bloom season, or will the offspring be spring bloomers? Has anyone tried? I've got johnsonii, voodoo and several noid heirloom pollens I could try. What do you think?

Comments (9)

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    9 years ago

It's the nature of the beast for San Antonio Rose to bloom July-August. As far as passing on the late bloom to offspring, it's iffy. SAR is an F1 hybrid between the winter-hardy H. aulicum var. stenopetalum and the now-extinct Brazilian H. traubii f. doraniae. Regardless of the SAR's bloom time, the seedlings will revert to a mish-mash of traits between those two species and whatever you cross it with. I'd think the chances are slim that you'll get one with the desired bloom time. BUT...genetics being what they are, you might get lucky. You might weight the throw of the dice in your favor by selfing your SAR with it's own pollen. IF both the parent specie are late blooming ( I honestly don't know), then your seedlings should be, too.

John

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the great info John! Doing some googling, it seems San Antonio Rose may not set seed at all. I'm pretty sure I tried selfing it last time it bloomed with no luck. Anyone know the bloom season of traubii? I think I'll try crossing with some of my latest spring bloomers and see what happens.

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

My traubi bloomed about the same time as San Antonio Rose. It took about 5 years in the ground before it bloomed for the first time last year.
    Maida

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Maida! If Traubii blooms late too, then seems like there is a decent chance of a cross being a late bloomer. Now to see if anything takes!

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

San Antonio Rose is one I'd like to add to my collection someday... it's on my list of "must have's"! It's very beautiful, as varieties go!

• amaryllisstudygroup
    9 years ago

Cross with Maria Goretti large flower fine white.
    Plant the crossed seeds. When they flower, self pollinate.
    When those seeds grow and bloom, you will see a wide range of colors and color patterns. Separate any that are late bloomers. Those are the ones (if any) that carry the late gene as dominate.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Bill,

Will any large white do or does it have to be Maria Goretti? I like the shape and form of Moscow, a very large, flat bloom.

Actually this same strategy works well for many blooms. Cross them with a white and then self pollinate to see a wide range of colors and form. White is like a blank canvas.

Kristi

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very interesting technique to know about. I didn't see it soon enough to try it. Of the crosses I attempted, it looks like johnsonii is the only one that took, the pod is very close to mature.

• janartmuse
    9 years ago

Congratulations of your seed pod! Janine

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area