Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_17497

bulbs in the closet

HU-17497
10 years ago

How long can I leave my bulbs out of the ground, I have them in a canvas bag in a dark closet that is kept cool. we are rebuilding after having a fire, the construction workers kept stepping on my plants and I wanted to kill them so I figured it best to just remove them and redo the garden beds all together

Comments (26)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Hi Devon,

Good to hear from you again and glad to hear that you are rebuilding.

If it were me, I would find a place in the yard where they won't get trampled and plant them. You can easily relocate them when the time if right in their proper place. It should be fairly easy to dig them up with hopefully new roots when the time is right.

This is just my opinion and maybe someone else will have a comment on keeping them in your closet...

Best,

Donna

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

"the construction workers kept stepping on my plants and I wanted to kill them"

Best line in this forum. lol

Like Donna i think you'd be better off just planting them somewhere temporary for now. If you keep them dormant just check in on them every week. I've stored them around a year.

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

were going to bust out all of the block now and redo this little box

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

flowers are gone are going to be stored and hope for the best

This post was edited by Devonfawn on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 15:45

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

now I have new concrete where the flower box was.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Welcome back Devon!!

At least AZ is nice and dry. Just keep an eye on them...would hate for them the get moldy. So glad to hear that you are making progress. I'll send you those Lima bulb-lets this fall when it cools off here. Actually... Some others set aside for you as well.

Stay well,
    Kristi

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Nice to see you back and rebuilding Devon.I have not stored bulbs in temps over 55F so "if" those were my amaryllises, I would buy these cheap plastic rectangular planters (on clearance/sale right now) and plant those bulbs in them. This way they can still root out and leaf some until you are ready to plant them.

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Nice yard Devon.

Mariava7, where are these planters you speak of?

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks you and its nice to be back, were hoping to be back in house by the middle of September. I really hope i'll have some blooms next year.

• Lorna1949
    10 years ago

Hi I live in Quebec Canada this is my routine of the bulbs
    I buy them around Christmas they flower end of January finish middle of feb I cut down the stem and put them on the window ledge the then the leaves star growing in June I put them outside in the shade and water them in Sept I will put them in a paper bag pot and all and put them in the fridge bottom draw take them out just before Christmas gives them 3 months to sleep the garden center told me not to take them out of the pot so they don't shrink

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Question for the peeps that have their bulbs outside... i thought you weren't supposed to have water run down the neck of the bulb. I understand many of you live in hotter climates than i but surely it must rain heavily at some point... wouldn't that encourage rotting if there was heavy rain or persistent rain for a few days?

10 years ago

In Houston we had loads of rain last week. My bulbs are outside under screens for shade. When it's not raining they have their own sprinkler system that waters 3x per week. As long as they drain and the weather is warm to permit evaporation, they are fine. The way the leaves grow, the water runs out. If there were no leaves, the water would sit in the neck and rot the bulb. Most of mine are well over 3-4' tall now!! Thriving!!

AJ (hehehe) I'll send you an email.

K

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would have agree as long as the bulb isn't sitting in water or mud they do really rather well, and in Arizona we don't have that problem.

10 years ago

Most of my bulbs are outside in pots for the summer and are doing just fine. The leaves block the rain from entering the neck of the bulb and just rolls off. They love the natural rain much better than hand watering. There again, the natural rain is acidic and our water is alkaline... so, who knows??

Donna

• mariava7
    10 years ago

We have these "Dollar" Stores here and garden ceters that sell them. You guys got any Save A Lot stores in your area? They currently got 70% off some of their garden products. I just got me a couple of bottles of Fungicide 3 (neem spray) for $2.10 @ and Fruit and Vegetable Insect Killer (pyrethrin spray) for $1.80@. I have not visited Family Dollar store (yet!) but I know I bought all of their rectanglar box planters before when they marked them down to just $2.00@! LOL

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

When the bulbs bloom is there not a gap between the next so that water will go down into the bulb? Won't that lead to rot? Surely i'm not the only one with bulbs like that? O_O

Perhaps the climate is different and it can rain for days so there is no follow up sun to evaporate it at times.

I went to our equivalent of the dollar store here in the UK, maria after reading what you said. What did i find but $1.50 terracotta pots (decent size) and also some window boxes. They also had some rectangular basins which i think i might just get and put some holes in them to use as planters... just need to find a saucer for them.

I like the containers frank had but they are hard to find here and expensive so cheap basins it is! Glad i don't live in your area maria, with you grabbing all the bargains. XD

• nopets
    10 years ago

Here it is the middle of September, I took the Amaryllis bulb out of the pot and VERY GENTLY got the damp soil away from the roots. And boy oh boy does this thing have the roots! I have a picture of the roots and one of the bulb itself, it is now in the bedroom in the pot without any soil and standing straight up, should it be on its side or will straight up be alright? And how long should it be kept that way until I fix it to grow for Christmas?

10 years ago

Nopets. Oh gosh....you have a couple of months more to be patient (not your strong point as I recall from last year's first bloom!!)....Laughing....

Please read the FAQ and see the message thread "Can I reuse an Amaryllis after it blooms?"

K

10 years ago

Nopets,
    What about the leaves? Did you cut them, or are they still on the bulb and if so did you allow them to dry naturally?

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

after I read the FAQ thread I felt like I could really do this and now that its been a couple of years now its easy. so I guess i'm with Kristi read the FAQ's.

• nopets
    10 years ago

I left the leaves on it and it sat outside all summer, most of the leaves died off naturally but there was one left so when I brought it in I cut it off. Do you think it will bloom this Christmas? In ALL the e-mails and posts I did I think someone said it will have 6 blooms on each stalk instead of 4, so I will really have to stake it up good. Oh well, that is in the future right now I just have to ignore it and leave it alone, good thing I have my moonflowers and morning glories inside to occupy my time.

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The new flower bed is all done and the bulbs are planted. I don't think I kept them cool enough because a quarter of them had shriveled and dried up. So I just spread them out and as time goes on I will fill in the holes now I just need to remember to not water too much so they wont rot.

10 years ago

Devon,
    LOOKS GREAT!! that's the kind of stacking brickwork I am going to use for redoing my flower beds. Did you go 4 high?(hard to bend my neck to see....) Photos of blooms when you get them, please.
    K

10 years ago

My computer is loving to post these duplicate messages!! ARGH!
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 11:00

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes they are 4 blocks high so the flower bed is about 20" tall and 30' long. it was extremely easy and holds nearly 8 tons of dirt, sand, and mulch. I doubt I there will be any blooms this coming year but when they do it should be beautiful.

10 years ago

I think it looks great!! You are an inspiration Devon. So glad you have recovered. I am starting to move bulbs into the greenhouse. Please email me your mailing address and I'll send you some of the promised bulbs (when I find them!)
    K

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm