Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Mealybug Infestation- Please Advise

arbo_retum
12 years ago

After beeing inspired by youall this past winter, I went my usual overboard and purchased some 40 amaryllis. I also got the bright idea? to keep them inside for the summer, (for the first time), in the plant conservatory where the most light is available to them this time of year(compared to the arboretum where every available patch of sunlight is taken). I forgot to tell you that i am TERRible w/ neglecting indoor plants. sooooo. Many of these amaryllis have contracted mealybug from last winter's conservatory plants(which are now outside).I have sprayed, earlier in the season, my indoor-gone-outdoors tropicals (cordyline, clivia) w/ 10% alcohol for their mealybug. Can I do a soil-drench for all the amaryllis(with what? an appropriate systemic?) or must i inspect and spray all the leaves-into-the-crown w/ the alcohol spray? I have also not fertilized them as much as i should have (so much for changing my ways), in fact only once, a few wks ago. Plse advise me.I am coming out of a major depressed and guilt ridden period and am trying to do better.i will follow your projected plan.here near boston, i would typically bring these into the cellar around october. It wouldn't bother me to have them bloom later than usual if that would enable me to fertilize them longer than usually advised(august, yes?)

thanks so much for your help,

mea culpa something major,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/

Comments (10)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I knock my mealies out with the same thing Donna uses EXCEPT I use the spray bottle form!

It works quickly and is very effective, it protects for thirty days and you should follow the directions to the T to avoid future infestations!

• bluebonsai101
    12 years ago

Yep, I use the Bayer product. I use 2 Tablespoons/gallon and do a soil drench. This works on all plants, including Amaryllids, Clivia, Pachypodium, members of the Hyacinth family, etc., etc. It has not caused a problem for any type of plant I own and others use it on things like cacti without a problem at all. You just want to make sure that you use it 3 weeks in a row to make sure all stages have been killed. By the way, I use the other Bayer product you can only buy in a spray that deals with both insects and things in the mite family in the fall just before bringing them in for the winter and it solves all the spider mite problems I have had in the past :o) Dan

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dan, i'm confused. your bayer soil drench does NOT work on clivia and amaryllis? i am trying to do a soil drench, not a spray, because the spray would take sooo much longer given all the 40 or so pots.
    thx,
    mindy

• bluebonsai101
    12 years ago

Hi Mindy, It works great on all of my Amaryllids.....sorry for any confusion caused :o) Dan

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Dan,

Would you say the soil drench is better than the spray? I know the leaves and such absorb the spray but it would seem the roots would be better for this job?

Donna,

You use the pellets? Do you like them more or less than the spray? It seems like the effects would last longer considering it's released over time?

I use the spray and I'm not too sure how I feel about it... I mean it gets the job done and I don't have problems with bugs since I've used it but it seems one of those options would be better?

Josh

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Josh,

I have over 100 pots so a spray would be out of the question..and would probably kill me or my DH in the process..not to say that pellets are more efficient, but most definitly easier to apply and even though there is an odor when they get wet at first..they are outside anyway.

It will be interesting to see this fall if I suspect any of my pots have the NBF in them..last year I lost over 10 of my large bulbs..but it wasn't until late in the summer that I noticed that the leaves on certain pots just look sickly..some pots such as my Giraffe had two mature bulbs in the same pot and luckily they only ate one bulb..never got to the second one and it is still fine..it's always something isn't it?

The next time we are scheduled to have a good rain, I think I will add a 1/2 tsp more of my Bayer product to protect against any critters that managed not to get cooked in the heat...I'm thinking that I'm not going to force dormancy this fall and pull them all our of their pots..I'm going to let them do what they wish.. as I wasn't all that happy with how they bloomed for me..I had many start to send up buds and they shriveled..so if I bring them in to the cellar maybe there won't be any critters hitching a ride...

Donna

• bluebonsai101
    12 years ago

Josh, for me it is the root mealies that are the worst so I go with the nuke them approach and do a soil drench. I know that Donna only has a few pots ;o), but since I have over 500 pots full of bulbs it is a time consuming process to do a soil drench, but I feel more sure about the results!! It allows me to inspect every plant also and lets face it most plant people love to do that sort of thing anyway! The spray to control any spider mites in the fall is the way to go.....just line everybody up and cut loose with the spray a couple of times (being careful of course). Since I have started doing this about 3 years ago I have never had a spider mite during the winter or an aphid and these used to be a HUGE problem inside. I kill them all just before bringing them inside and problem solved for the next 7 months :o) Dan

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dan, what product do you use for a soil drench? mahoney's- my local large nursery- only has a Bonide soil drench specifically for outdoor plants.not sure that would work for indoor plants so that's why i'm asking you for your specific product name. thanks much,
    mindy

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

NBF = Narcissus Bulb Fly