Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurencej

Amaryllis Prelude Life

laurencej
15 years ago

Hi guys, way back about 6 months ago I joined this Forum for some info on my new acquisition. Everyone was so helpful, and I spent hours going over posts and taking notes. Hans was especially knowledgeable and spent the time to tell me about bottom watering, as was Rumpelstiltskin's about water germination. Well my baby has thrived, and survived my TLC. She recently gave birth to a new baby, and many of her seeds have germinated and are growing. Yeah it will take awhile, but as a retired Air Force member, I have plenty of time left on this earth to nurture my plants. Here is a photo history from day one,for those of you who read my posts and gave me advice, it did not fall on deft ears.

Day one 1/27/08 I just brought her home from the Tower Hill Botanical Garden on a very cold New England day. Two of her four flowers broke off from the high wind, even though I had the plant covered and protected.

{{gwi:375536}}

2/9/08 while the original scape was getting tired, a new one is emerging.

{{gwi:375537}}

{{gwi:375538}}

{{gwi:375539}}

This is what I did to the two other flowers that fell off originally, notice the seed bulbs developing.

{{gwi:375540}}

2/18/08 All kinds of flowers abound from her

{{gwi:390389}}

3/23/08 After the flowers expired, reading posts here, this is what I followed and did.

{{gwi:390390}}

There are not any more pictures until June as I spent a month + in Jerusalem visiting our son & his wife. By the way, the Jerusalem Botanical Garden is great, spent two whole days there, just could not get enough of it. Our house sitter watered the plant, um not like she was instructed too, but the plant survived anyways. It was moved to the back patio porch which is enclosed when we got back in late May. A few of my water germinated seeds from her survived as well as you will see.

6/9/08 - when we came home, big leaves had grown tall.

{{gwi:420825}}

{{gwi:420826}}

6/17/08 Look, a baby has been born!

{{gwi:420827}}

7/26/08 Today

{{gwi:420828}}

{{gwi:420829}}

This is a picture of the seeds that were germinated and survived, taken this afternoon.

{{gwi:420830}}

My water germination, nothing special, don't even change the water and these seeds sprout wings it seems. I learned a valuable lesson, don't use masking tape to write on and be cheap, mother nature blew that idea out of the water, and use a magic marker not a colored felt pen that does not survive rain. I just bought on e-bay 500 plastic

plant markers, so this will never happen again.

{{gwi:420831}}

A couple of Amaryllis varities that are in the initial stages of growning, again from water germination.

{{gwi:420832}}

I am really glad I found you guys, really a lot of info. Oh, since I bottom water from day one, my wife is happy, no bugs flying around, ah, maritial bliss is heaven. Seriously though, it is really amazing to see how the plant sucks up the water from the clay bottom the pot sits on. I usually water it once every two days or so, less I forget, duh.

One other thing, I learned from this forum how to pollinate my plants as well which was fun to do.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions