Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rotted Roots - How to save?

Posted by Hellsmith none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 15:39

Doh! I attempted to support my Amaryllis in rocks above some soil with water in it. I fertilized a bit too much, over watered, then left the thing for a week.

Came home to a smelly room and a healthy plant now ruined.

Cut the rotting roots off the plant and cleaned the bulb up nice. Rot seems to have been external only, so I cut the now browning/yellow leaves off (they were green last week!) and stuck it above some water (not touching) in a green house.

Now, will the bulb regrow roots over time? Should it be in water or soil again or have some time to dry out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rotted Roots - How to save?

Let it dry out thoroughly, I had the same problem and mine came back after neglecting them, as in letting them go dormant and dry out (out of the sun, dark barn) for about four weeks. I then took them out, put them in clean soil and they all greened out again. I probably won't get flowers for a very very long time but I know they are alive :) You'll just have to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist LOL

Protect it from rats, mice, and other bugs while this dormant period goes on.

o

Could I clone/cut them once they are thoroughly dry, or should they have roots before I do that?

I stuck it upstairs in the attic (real hot and dry), and will let it sit up there until September.

o

I think as better to cut rotted roots, then soak in a solution of benomyl bulbs for 30 minutes. Bulbs dry for 2-3 days, and plant them in an almost dry, with good drainage and soil. Plant so that the bulb was almost on the surface of the soil. Sprinkle the bottom of the bulbs under the vermiculite. Carefully watered a little bit when the soil is completely dry. No need to arrange their rest period, they now have to grow on.grow new roots. And for the rest period is too warm.
:)

o

I agree the "real hot" attic is not good. If need be put them in a drawer inside the house. No do not cut and clone at this point, you'll kill it off completely.

As for the "no rest period" I'll let you all decide that.. I just told you my opinion and experience, believe me I have had a lot of bad experiences, I'll leave that up to the real experts

o

Excuse me, what is at stake: the hippeastrum or about Amaryllis belladonna?

o

huh, maybe you misunderstood me, I am still learning so keeping the beautiful beast alive is most important to me, thus my statement "I probably won't get flowers for a very very long time but I know they are alive :)" was overlooked

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here