Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

What's on your wish list?

The list has been pretty quiet so I thought I'd try and come up with a thread for discussion. Who knows⦠This could result in some good offers or trades!

Aside from current offerings, what are some oldies but goodies (Hippeastrum) that you wish you had, or, you had but wish you could replace?

I'll start:

I wish I could replace my H. Rembrandt von Rijn that rotted years ago.

I'm sure there are others, but my brain is too hot to think. I just came in from weeding my 140 square foot vegetable garden!

This can be one of those list that gets long, so add to it!
K

Comments (18)

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

I would like to get Pixie this year if it is available.
    Maida

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Maida. I don't think it's being offered. That was a weird mix-up. I'm holding out for H. Thai Thai. I wonder if we'll ever really know what happened to the Pixies offered through LG.
    K

Original Author
    9 years ago

Maida,
    I did go back and there was no mention of H. Pixie being offered this year in the follow-up from Hadeco. I recall something being said in email that they (Hadeco) were going to focus on a better hybrid (H. Thai Thai). Currently their site says H. Thai Thai should be offered in 2015.

Here's the follow up thread dealing with the mislabeled bulbs.
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: thread re: H. Pixie

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

If I could get one bulb this year, it would be "Jewel of the Night" from Royal Colors... or, a new "Jewel", which I think is one of only a couple Hippi varieties to sport a noticeable scent!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jodi, there are many more than a couple of Hippeastrum that are scented. You've been off the thread for a while. I can recall discussion of these:
    H. Johnsonii, Jewel, Alfredo, Splash, Santiago, and many of the NOID heirlooms.

Do a search for "scent" in our forum and you'll see the discussions.
    K

• oleg9grower
    9 years ago

Relatively scent: Johnson has a pleasant flavor and quite strong but with bitterness. The most pleasant and strong has Jewel. The vast majority of doubles smell is not strong and bitter except Harlequin - it has a floral scent.
    Only it must be remembered that the flavor - one of the most of subjective feelings

Original Author
    9 years ago

I found H. Santiago to smell of berries, as did a few others. Yet some others described it as reminding them of cat urine. Quite a difference in opinions/perception!
    Kristi

• oleg9grower
    9 years ago

Exactly Kristi. The smell Santiago reminded me mastic, but others wrote that smells cats.)))

This post was edited by oleg9grower on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 18:18

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Some mentioned a while back that they could detect a slight scent on Apple Blossom, as well... but I couldn't smell anything. Jewel is the only one I've ever been able to detect a noticeable scent from. I didn't smell anything from the H x johnsonii I had at one time, either.

I think it must be very relative to our individual ability to catch different smells...

Then again, competition for my nose has been acres of roses, lilies, and other perennials, every growing season, for a very long time... some so overpowering that they drown out everything else, and some that occasionally waft on the breeze bringing a hint of a lovely perfume. "Autumn Damask" and many of our species type roses hold the awards for most scented, most perfumed, most likely to attract olfactory attention!

It's really too bad that more Hippeastrum blooms don't have scent... though they do have size and color as their most attractive features to would-be pollinators.

• jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

For scent don't forget blossom peacock, whose scent (to me) is similar to jewel.

Kristi,

I, like you have been waiting for Thai Thai for years - and that almost black one (that you have been secretly growing in your garden lol). Did you see that really dark mini that Royal Colors is offering in the fall? How would you compare the color (as the only person I know that actually saw the black hippeastrum).

Jodik, I love roses! Also re Jewel - love the pristine white as well as the scent.

Oleg8,

Love Santiago's looks, scent - not so much!

-J

Original Author
    9 years ago

Near black, mini trumpet was darkest bloom I've ever seen. A large table full of pots was most impressive. Even though I have been in touch with the breeder, I assure you I wasn't able to even sneak a single bulb out of Lisse!! I didn't try! The judges were being way too kind to me for me to even grab pollen (though there are a few on this list that I wouldn't put it past!) hehe - just teasing!

I love H. Benfica (aka on list as Benefica)! Still it is not as dark as No.1500! Link to original thread below.
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: near black mini trumpet Hippeastrum

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

"Jewel" not only has that nice scent and lovely pristine white, Jstropic... it also has a shape that is very attractive, I think. It remains one of my very favorites!

I have a large pot filled with bulbs that have been unlabeled for the longest time... I thought it was "Red Lion" at one time, but I'm not so sure. The red is incredibly deep... way deeper than "Red Lion"... more like "Benfica" or "Red Pearl", if I'm not mistaken. I selfed it earlier this spring when it bloomed, and planted a few of the meager seeds it produced. Tiny green seedlings are beginning to pop up... I still don't know what to call it, so I have it labeled "Dark Red"! :-)

I would have to say my Short Wish List contains "Jewel of the Night" from Royal Colors... a new "Jewel"... and another "Papilio Butterfly".

The Long Wish List is too long to type out! ;-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

For those who think H. Jewel of the Night looks like the mystery No. 1500.....
    K

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Actually, I think it looks rather like relative of "Rapido"... remember that lovely red?

I had a "Rapido" from Royal Colors years ago... it arrived with the scapes already growing and very curled around and twisted. It actually bloomed upside down! I'm sure I posted pictures at the time... it was quite the strange looking bulb! But I liked that it gave up 3 scapes just loaded with blooms!

"No. 1500" looks quite a bit darker than "Jewel of the Night"... unless that's just the lighting and the camera.

Original Author
    9 years ago

No Jodi, that is the true color! Notice the white, green, and red and white blooms in the background and the white tag. Really spectacular... Enough to be named the overall winner over all other Hippeastrum on exhibit at the Keukenhof exhibit in 2010 in Lisse, The Netherlands.

I took the photo, so I can assure you there is no trickery involved. It was an unnamed variety hence the number, No. 1500.
    K

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Are they small/miniature? In comparison to the more common hybrids... like Minerva, Red Lion, and those?

It's very dark... almost a little too dark for my tastes... but it's still a bulb! And I do love bulbs! :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

It is a mini. As I said that's what's so great about this hobby, something for everyone.
    K

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Absolutely, Kristi!

And each type of tender bulb as its own set of varieties... like Hippeastrum, Crinum, Habranthus and Zephyranthes, etc... even things that aren't quite bulbs, but are more corm/tuber/root-like... such as Gladiolus, Iris, Hemerocallis, etc...

In the world of bulbs/corms/tuberous rooted plants, it's hard to get bored when you collect one type or another!

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions