Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Cooked Amaryllis leaves....

Hi..

I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else..All my hippie pots (terra cotta) are out in various parts of the yard..some on a couple of decks. One table (white plastic) on a deck was up against the house (wooden natural shingles) and the 4 plants that were in the back row only inches from the house actually got so hot that most of the leaves got cooked from the 102 degree heat..I'm sure it was much hotter on this sunny south facing deck up against the house with little or no wind..and so no air movement so close to the house. The plants that were 1/2 foot or more from the house were OK..some scorching of leaves but all in all they made it through the heat.

I know many of you experience this sort of extreme heat on a regular basis and was just wondering if this ever happens to any of you...

As soon as I noticed the damage..late in the afternoon..I watered the plants as by then they were bone dry. No good..the leaves never plumped up..they looked like cooked cabbage..and are now turning yellow in the last throws of death. I'm hoping there wasn't any damage to the bulbs.. this was a lesson learned..We don't get temperatures in the 100's (in the shade) in New England for so many days..other than this year..

I had a couple of leaves here and there, on other plants in various parts of the yard and elsewhere on the decks, that also got blanched but just a half a leaf here and there.

I moved the severely damaged plants to a more shady area and hopefully there will be a flush of new leaves..

Anyway, thanks for listening.. and hope everybody is staying cool..

Donna

Comments (8)

• npublici
    12 years ago

The sun is definately more intense here this year.
    I have had a large number of plants go into summer domancy,despite being watered every day,some young seedlings,some mature bulbs. I just don't have enough shade.
    Many of my Hippeastrum were sunburned for the first time ever last year,but this year is more severe. I've not lost any.
    Del

• brigarif Khan
    12 years ago

Temp. in shade do go up to 120F. Only those getting mid-day direct sun suffer scorched sun burn of leaves, but they do survive. May be your plants were also dehydrated.

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

Donna, so sorry to hear about your overheated bulbs! This some times happens to me too when I just take them out for the summer after blooming indoors. The scorched leaves wither and fall off but the bulb grows new stronger leaves. I'm sure they'll be just fine. I hope so.

Amazing how hot and dry it's been this summer though. Seems I have to water almost daily.

Alana

• mariava7
    12 years ago

They do appreciate some misting in these very hot temps.

Do not fertilize the stressed bulbs.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Everyone..

They were moved in the shade for several days and the damaged leaves..3/4 of the leaves on most that were effected immediately turned yellow and I cut the dead parts off and left the stubs of the leaves and put them back in the sun.. just this morning...maybe I should have given them another week of shade..but the temps are only in the high 80's now. One of them was my beloved Party Animal..but I'm sure they will all recover. They really weren't really dry but it is quite possible that I may have over fertilized..even though I only use the liquid at half strength..I use it often and they also have Osmocote pellets in them all..they weren't sunburned..I do get that occasionally..cooked like limp lettuce..but of course in that extreme heat I get a little limp looking myself....

Donna

• mariava7
    12 years ago

Party Animal...Party Pooper

They would appreciate Papilio growing conditions.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, not only did I cook a few leaves, but I definitly cooked a bulb..what a shame..

from this...

{{gwi:421036}}

to this...

{{gwi:421038}}

She was a very small bulb, but was doing fine..if I had known, I would have ordered another...

I planted in the ground what was left of the basal plate..the roots still looked fine and gave her a marker..if she has the will to survive maybe she will form some bulblets on the side of the basal plate..I just wasn't in the mood to play intensive-care nurse for the rest of the summer. I had ordered a Grantly..a similar flower, but not as pretty as my Strawberry Blend....maybe Grantly will be a proper substitute...

Donna

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Donna,

I had a bulb do the same during the heat, survival of the fittest!

Sponsored
More Discussions