Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyorchids

Seed available and search

crazyorchids
11 years ago

I have been searching for sellers of hippeastrum species seed without much success apart from brazilplants.com (Mauro) who has some species and hybrid seed for sale at the moment. I would love to hear from anyone who is aware of any other sellers.

Comments (9)

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

If you find a source, I would like to hear about it--been looking for a while.

--Rick

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Ebay typically has a few for sale!
    K

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

I have contacted Brazilians Mauro via e-mail, but he only sell some hybrid Hippeastrum seeds on his website,and does not sell other Hippi rare species seeds to us such ordinary Hippi lovers.

Sometimes sell on Ebay is too expensive, is beyond the lovers can afford!
    Exchange between lovers is better, and economy,
    it can be increased the friendship of us.
    5 Rare Papilio x Mandonii Seeds Sold to $152.50 on ebay,
    It is too expensive, I am not going to buy!
    BTW:I have a lot of the Holland ,South Africa Hippeastrum species and a little Rare Hippeastrum varieties fully mature /flowering sized bulbs , waiting until they blossom, I can get a lot of selfing or hybrids seeds,SO I can exchange the seeds or offsets with you guys!
    Cheers and happy gardening!
    Tiger

Here is a link that might be useful: Sell on ebay 5 Rare Papilio x Mandonii Seeds Amaryllis Hippeastrum

• npublici
    11 years ago

Neither papillio or mandonii are rare and a hybrid cross of them would be less rare."Rare" is only a marketing lie. As long as Ebay doesn't stand to lose any money anything goes on that site.There are a few reliable sellers of hippeastrum on ebay.There are a few rare hippeastrum.Getting seeds of them without being a member of a major university or well known conservatory would be extremely difficult and probably illegal.

• hippiris
    11 years ago

What exactly are you after Crazyorchids ? I checked your trade lists . In regards to what would be considered rare npublici ,here in Aust. getting hold of a Mandonii is a pretty hard thing to do, along with just about anything thats not your common "garden variety". I know of a few that have them and recently a couple have been sold on Ebay. I have a few myself.(but not enough to part with just yet, and have a waiting list for when I do) Here it's buy what you can when you see it which most of the time you end up paying way too much. It is annoying though constantly seeing Papilio listed as "rare"

Cheers, K

• crazyorchids
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all.
    Tiger, you have emailed me and when the Papillio are in flower and produce viable seed, I will certainly share those around at no cost. They are certainly not rare and grow like potatoes. I even have a variegated one given to me as Papillio but I doubt it is. We have about 40-50 mature bulbs. I do not really have a trade list but we do grow lots of orchids (mainly species), anthuriums, haemanthus, scadoxus,clivias, and a large variety of brugmansias. Some of our brugmansias are yet to be named. We have singles, doubles and triples.

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Dear Jose:
    Thanks your favourable reply and your generosity.
    I'd like to share plant enthusiasts and seeds with you.
    Hoping your Papillio plants blossom as soon as possible and get seeds.

Best wishs and regards for you!
    Tiger Liu

• ananth1946
    11 years ago

Hi! I'm new to this site and am from India. I just came to know that this flower was called Hippeastrum - just referred to them as "Trumpet Lilys". While searching for seeds I came upon this site. There are a few sellers on eBay USA - but my doubt is this: From what i read on the internet, these seeds have to be germinated not more than 4 months from collection. If we buy on eBay, what surety do we have that the seeds are not "old" and past their "use-by" date.
    Secondly, what is the drop in the rate of germination, say, after 12 months?
    Can someone clarify pl?

Thanks

Ananth

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

You take your chances on eBay, and have to rely on the seller's rating and reputation among others. I'm not sure about the longevity of seeds, but 4 months seems too short a time, and it depends on how the seeds were stored. I store many seeds in the refrigerator where they stay cool, very dry, and pest-free. In the fridge, a paper envelope is better than plastic, for air circulation.

--Rr

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?