Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is normal for hips?

Posted by Rosslimited 6a (sueloc@aol.com) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 19:23

When hips are grown & left in the ground in warm climates, do the leaves die down at all? Mine are in pots & Im wondering what is normal or what they do on there own?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is normal for hips?

I live outside of Houston, TX and I have some in the ground year round. During warmer winters, they are green year round and mine bloom in April-May. In years when the winters are brutal, they lose leaves. I throw a lot of leaves over them for insulation (we had "snow" 3 times this year).

I grow most of mine in pots and they overwinter in the greenhouse where the temp is always at 45 or warmer. Those that I don't cut down stay green all year.

K

o
RE: what is normal for hips?

I grow mine in pots also and I find that some lose their leaves in the fall or early winter and others keep most all of their leaves and grow as evergreens year-round.

Some of them just keep one leaf through the winter and then grow a full compliment of leaves again in spring.

Basically, I let them do what they wish and for the most part that means letting them grow as evergreens.

I always cut back on the water in the winter though, even if they do keep one or more leaves.

The bulbs that do lose their leaves get put in the garage until it gets too close to freezing which usually is a few months, in a good winter. I don't really find much difference in the re-blooming though whether I give them a cold snap or leave them in our furnace room with leaves, which is usually about high 50s.

Donna☺☺

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 10:52

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here