Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raymondo17

Amaryllis -- Rebloom in July?

raymondo17
10 years ago

We had a great time watching a potted Amaryllis grow last Christmas. It seemed to grow so fast we could watch it.

After it was done blooming, I set the pot aside as the foliage died, leaving nothing but the large bulb in a pot. I had no intention of trying to rebloom it, so I just set it out on my potting bench. After months of complete neglect, I noticed the other day that it's actively growing again! It's currently about 18" tall and growing every day.

Is it likely it will rebloom here in July? I thought Amaryllis was a winter bloomer.

Comments (8)

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

It is possible, some of mine have done that. They are forced to flower for xmas, they flower march-may normally i think.

You'd have to give it some care though if you want it to bloom again in subsequent years.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Some of mine that bloomed last winter (forced) are reblooming here in the July heat! Mine are pretty pampered and bloom, after the first forcing, in March-June in subsequent seasons (a full year later). These are just a little special this year, showing off with repeat blooms in less than 9 months. I had Rapido and Blossom Peacock just bloom.
    K

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

I bought the bulbs end of Spring, planted them and now they are have plenty nice and healthy leaves. But no flowers yet.

I also wonder if I would get to see the blooms soon. They are Garden Pink Amaryllis as marked on the package.

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

If you see a pregnant bump on one side of the bulb it is a clue that a scape is coming up. Otherwise 4 leaves with sun and fertilizer is supposed to lead to the creation of a scape for sometime down the line. 7 onion layers is also supposed to lead to a scape. What size is the bulb?

All the ones i recently bought, i couldn't stop them sending up scapes. Even a cool garage wouldn't stop them. I had to shove mine in the fridge and ran out of space. I think mine were leftover from last season and so were all ready to sprout. I took them out and within a few days the scapes decided to start blooming even though they were barely out the bulb.

So it looks like yours might not have a scape ready but it might surprise you. Only way to know for sure is to cut it in half. But lets not do that. XD

• LizzaNVA
    10 years ago

I too have a bloom coming in. It also has a daughter bulb. Any advice on letting go dormant? Should I wait longer and let it bloom late winter/ early spring?

• raymondo17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies here. I'm excited to get a second bloom out of this bulb. The kids are loving watching how quickly it grows! Never had one rebloom in the summer, so this is neat.

>You'd have to give it some care though if you want it to bloom again in subsequent years.Jemima, would you mind outlining the care the Amarylis would need to rebloom next Christmas? I usually discard the bulb and buy a new one every year, but heck, I'd love to see this guy rebloom.

10 years ago

Raymondo, if you'll read the FAQ at the top of the list, you'll see how to get blooms for the holidays.
    K

10 years ago

The bump on the side of a bulb may also indicate an offset (new bulb) forming under the outter layer(s).
    K

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions