Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Is this the dreaded Mosiac Virus?

Hi Everyone, I need some advice and I need it ASAP! A few months ago I put all of my bulbs outside in various areas of my yard for a summer in the sun. All seem to be doing well. I kept 5 of my best bulbs in the house in my bay window thinking I would be keeping them from possibly coming in contact with the NBF. Earlier this spring 2 of these five bulbs bloomed beautifully with no apparent problems. Now, my bay window faces south so it gets 3/4 of a days worth of sun and I'm thinking everything is hunky-dory. The bulbs are growing nice leaves and they get fed regularly. Earlier this spring we had a house full of pinw pollen and everything, and I mean everything, was covered with the stuff. Eventually, it got cleaned up but, I never did dust my plants leaves. So the other day, I take a closer look at the leaves and start to remove the pollen and wow! This is what I found! Two days ago, I moved all these plants outside far away from all my other amaryllis and intend to leave them there for the foreseeable future. If you think they are virused, I will plant them in the ground this fall near the foundation and mulch them heavily and hope for the best, that they do not freeze. There are 5 of them and several are my favorites!! I also had some of my seedling in the bay window also, and I'm thinking that I should throw them away, as they have this same look to them slightly. I tried to talk myself into the fact that the UV glass in the window maybe caused this mottling, but I'm afraid I know what it is. Please look at the pictures and give me your opinions. All opinions will be appreciated. Thanks,

Donna

{{gwi:421782}}From What's wrong with these leaves!!

the back of the leaves are not quite as bad
{{gwi:421783}}From What's wrong with these leaves!!
{{gwi:421784}}From What's wrong with these leaves!!

The new growth on these plants looks normal for now anyway
{{gwi:421785}}From What's wrong with these leaves!!

To say that I am devestated is an understatement!! I can't believe this could spread so quickly to all 5 bulbs, as I enjoyed the flowers, I never noticed the spotting through all the pollen. Dusting is not one of my favorite passtimes.

Comments (13)

• chazparas
    13 years ago

Donna,
    Checking in on my 0200 lunch break... The damage does not look like mosaic virus to me, it looks like thrip damage. I've had the same on my hippis and even some orchid leaves last year. Unfortuantely I'm stuck with the damage on the orchids for a couple of years, treat your hippis with a systemic insecticide that has on it's label it works on thrips, next season your leaves should be clear. If you check closely you may even find the lil buggers eating away at those whitish trails on the leaves.
    Chaz

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Chaz! You've given me some hope!! Would you happen to have any pictures of your thrip damaged leaves? I will google thrip damage and see if I can come up with any pictures. Thanks,

Donna

Has anyone else out there had any experience with thrips that resembles mine?

• npublici
    13 years ago

The appearance is that of insect damage. Thrips are a strong possibility.
    The problem with insect damage is greater than the damage of one plant. If a single one of your Hippeastrum (and some other species)have a viral disease,then they all will soon have it,with the insects taking it from plant to plant.
    It is best to hold down the insect populations as much as possibile.
    Del

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Chaz and Del, I am quite relieved to hear it may be thrips, definitely the lesser of two evils. Fortunately, these 5 bulbs plus one other that I put out 2 weeks ago were totally segregated from the rest that had gone out in the yard close to 2 months ago, but I think I shall treat all of them.

I do have some neem oil in concentrate form that would be mixed fresh or would you recommend something like imidachloprid (merit) that I believe is in granular form? Thank you so much for your help I also had a friend id the leaves as possibly thrips, so that's 3 votes for thrips and 0 for mosaic virus!!!

Thanks again,

Donna

• chazparas
    13 years ago

Donna,
    Sorry I don't have any photos of the thrip damage, I may be able to get some on the orchid leaves but it looks just like what you have there! I normally would say stay organic and go with the neem but I'm at a point where I don't want to loose any more of my hippis and after my NBF issue I used a systemic that was a liquid with imidachloprid in it, can't remember the name of it and I'm at work so it'll be a while before I can locate the brand name, anyway, it worked, haven't had any issues since last year, and yes it was on the plants I had indoors! So far this year all my hippis seem to be OK, I've even put a few outside at the new home as there are no narcissi, fritillaria, or hyacinth in the area all major food sorces for NBF, so I'm hoping no NBF either. I may regret this come next year but they look so darn healthy when they get a summer out doors.
    Chaz

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Chaz, My plants outside look great, every year they go out in the hot sun and believe it or not I haven't yet, had a case of NBF, and we have narcissis and daffodils all over the yard! I'm in MA too. I did have one case from a bulb I bought on EBay several years ago, but even that one has set two viable bublets attached to the basil plate!! I'm thinking I should wipe down the whole bay window area with possibly bleach(?)since this window is my main location for bulbs in the winter. I can comfortably place 15 or so bulbs for a sunny winter.

If you can locate the brand name of your systemic liquid I would appreciate it, in the meantime we'll start the search. I do think a liquid would be a better choice than that granules that we already have as we've had this Meritt for many years, using it on our hemlocks and maybe it's effectiveness has diminished due to age. Fresh is probably better. Thanks for your help!!

Donna

• chazparas
    13 years ago

Donna,
    The systemic I used is a brand named Ferti-lome brush and shrub systemic drench or tree and shrub? I mix it in a bottle and water the plants with it after they have already been watered well so the drench has a good chance of getting deep into the soil. The damage that is there is going to stay but it will prevent further damage and hopefully keep the thrips at bay next season. I have used it on a few plants and shrubs that I grow in the house except the brugmansias, it worked well on my chalice vine for scale also.
    Good luck,
    chaz

Original Author
    13 years ago

Chaz, I appreciate your taking the time to look this up! Will deal with this problem this week. Thanks,

Donna

• npublici
    13 years ago

Imidacloprid is also available as a Bayer product,from W mart, among others. The product I'm currently using is "Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer" It has Cyfluthrin and imidacloprin in it.I think I paid less than fifteen dollars for it.
    Del

Original Author
    13 years ago

Del,
    Thanks for your help also, it's good to know that knowledgeable people are out there willing to help!!

Donna

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Donna , in my heyday of Orchids and Hippies i had cause to study plant viruses ,and your precious plants do NOT have Mosaic virus ,Virusses seldom cut across the leaf veins of any plant ( technically never ) and if you look close at some of the markings on your leaves ? they actually do go across the leaf veins ,large sapsucking insects etc like grass hoppers can spread viruses from plant to plant ,but thrips ,aphids have mouth parts that are to small ,however if you had a large infestation then yes it could be a problem ,viruses get in to plants thru a wound or damage on the plant ,you can spread it that way if you have the sap of an infected plant on your hands and then damage a leaf or so ,in general its not that easy to infect plants ( Cymbidium orchids are the exception ) viruses "trick " the healthy plant cells into replicating the virus itself ,thats how the spread thru the plant so rapidly , never compost any virus affected plants , all the compost will be affected to a degree ,it takes a huge amount of heat to kill a virus ,anyway your plants are Ok , i trust this helps .
    Jack

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jack, Thank you for your knowledgeable opinion that puts another check in the insect column!! I AM feeling much better about this situation, as we found "Systemic Insect Spray" by Bonide with Imidachoprid and the offending plants have all been sprayed and are residing outside,far far away from my other outside hippies. Will attempt to give a second dose in about 2 weeks as a precaution. By then new leaves should be emerging. As these plants were living in the house, I still don't know where they got it!! I had a half dozen small trays of seedling with them and they have also been sprayed, and will give them a second dose also.

I feel as thought I have dodged two bullets, what with this and my ant parade! Wonder what will be next?

Thanks again, to ALL of you who responded to my panic!!

Donna

Thanks to all of you who have put my mind as ease,

• vriesea
    13 years ago

I also meant to mention " red spider mite(s)" these do similar damage but don't spread Virus on their own ,but for some reason they will appear on plants ,they same as ( Thrips and Aphids )that are kept indoors for any lenght of time ,where do the come from ? often the eggs ( almost invisible to the naked eye ) are on the plant(s) all insects hate water ,that's why they hide on the underside of a leaf ,in the dry conditions indoors , the hatch and mulitply at a prodigious rate , a pair of Aphids can produce up to 40,000 offspring in about 2 weeks ( without predators ) ,Lady bird beetles eat 40 a day , so hose the plants under the leaves and dont kill the good insects with the dreaded " atomic bomb " we all reach for ( me included ) glad i could help bye bye , Jack

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider
More Discussions