Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstonpat

Variegated Hippeastums

houstonpat
17 years ago

I posted a photo of variegated Hippeastums in the Bulb Gallery. Does anyone have experiance getting these cultivars to bloom?

Comments (9)

• haweha
    17 years ago

That is great expectations,
    houstonpat.

Considered that the previous feedback on your nicely variegated papilio seedling was so poor in general - very regrettable.

Simply perform a steady husbandry on your plant. Did you succeed in obtaining blooms from previous other papilio offsets?! - Unfortunately the scape formation in this species amaryllis demands rather big bulbs.

Btw. in the meantime I HAVE obtained one "fully" variegated bulblet from my single-sidedly-variegated seedling of H.aulicum v.robustum x H."Giraffe" - and, imagine, besides 7 other, completely unvariegated offset specimens. The rich occurrence of offsets was in accordance with my prediction (both parents are very effective vegetative multipliers).
    But, solely, due to fading motivation, again being DUE to the extremely poor (sporadic) input... I do not say anything more.

• plant_guy
    17 years ago

"But, solely, due to fading motivation, again being DUE to the extremely poor (sporadic) input... I do not say anything more."

People on GardenWeb: 0 People at the beach: everyone else

This forum is seasonal. Right around Sept/Oct it will pick up and after Christmas, the inevitable newbie "what do I do with this thing now?" posts. Sigh.

Plant_Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Amaryllis Page

• lora_in
    17 years ago

Hi Houstonpat,
    Lovely photo in the Bulb Gallery.I wish this forum had it's own gallery as I don't frequent the others and often miss photos for quite some time.
    Hi Hans-Werner,
    Pretty please,would you show your varigated seedling? There really is intrest, just not much time to type about it. Many people are on vacations before school reopens and those of us that work outside are simply exhausted from the incredible heat. I finally gave up work about 1:45 as I was feeling ill. Ground temp readings were at 119F and the humidity 59%.
    Hi Plant_Guy,
    I have the same expectations as you. The forum will be flooded with the same,basic questions. We (everbody) really need to put together a FAQ to cover the beginners. Lora

• Mikey
    17 years ago

In my zone I am able to keep them in the ground year-round. I don't really give them any special treatment. I have sandy soil, thus they don't get too wet during our rainy season (November-April).

{{gwi:421814}}

• haweha
    17 years ago

Thank you for the nice image,
    Mikey.
    This is typical performance of Hippeastrum "Mrs. Garfield" - so beautifull. Did you ever receive seeds from this original hybrid (after self pollination) - I would be VERY interested in these...

And, these dotted scapes above and on the left side - is this Scadoxus (mutltiflorus ssp.) katherinaehref> or a related species blood lilyhref>

And, Lora, thank you for suggestion and, for your interest. The respective image IS to come soooon.

Hans-Werner

• Mikey
    17 years ago

I have never paid attention to if it produced seeds... Sometimes the fetching Mrs. Mikey ventures into the garden and cuts flowering plants to take inside...... which may be why I can't recall if it ever produce seeds....

Good observation. Yes, that's a Scadoxus puniceus that you can barely see on the left side.

• haweha
    17 years ago

...the fetching Mrs...
    Pretty-Pleeeease if you could send her my transatlantic greetings and ask her if she could make an execption on the very next occasion and pollinate the blooms instead

As regards my single side variegated hippeastrum (meaning that the leaves of only one side of the leaf fan were variegated, see the right sided leaves of the "mother bulb" in the first image) I feel fortunate that I finally have obtained one bulblet which shows variegation on every leaf:
    {{gwi:421815}}
    {{gwi:421816}}

Interestingly, the creamy white parts of a young leaf will become somewhat greenish after exposition to unfiltered daylight outdoors. This is revealed in the (now older) leaf below. However, a mature leaf has lost this ability to generate some chlorophyll after a mild UV stimulation.

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Splendid photo Mikey. I will move Mrs Garfield and Siloette to a larger pots in the spring. Great photos HW. When we get these sports up to blooming size we should swap pollen.

• haweha
    17 years ago

Great idea and suggestion.
    Use a lightweight substrate like coco fiber substrate and a thick drainage layer of Seramis for example - and administer but lukewarm water with diluted fertilizer from below.... as I detailed previously and repeatedly.
    H.aulicum x "Giraffe" is diploid (it should be at least) and thus compatible with H.papilio. Crosspollination should therefore work.

Sponsored
More Discussions