Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redheadedstepchild75

New to Amaryllis... and the forum :O)

I have been reading over the posting in the forum today...and, everyone is helpful!!

I am very excited....today while I was at the supermarket getting some last minute cook out things I ventured over to the plant department......I usually do but, for some reason I had never seen these before.

I looked down and there was an entire shelf of bulbs....all red..with one whit bulb.

I got the white bulb!! :O) and, a red one.

I went ahead and planted them, I figured they would make it or they wouldn't......should I have waited? lol

I love amaryllis....I just had never been able to find the bulbs before....I might have to go back and buy some more if these work out. The boxes were all dusty....lol

Comments (7)

• cindeea
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey there-you are no step-child on this forum! WELCOME!!
    Where do you live? What zone? What kind of medium are the bulbs planted in? All these questions will help us better help you become and AVID amaryllis grower, my dear! We LOVE to enable others! Go get more!! LOL

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

If your bulb packages were dusty, they are probably left over from last year and your results may not be encouraging. Well, never mind! IF you can save them, then great! IF not, don't get discouraged. Start with some fresh new ones when they come out in late fall, or put your order in for the ones you want now...we can tell you places to get good ones from.

The fresh ones will reward you so many times over!

Welcome to this nice place where we have so much fun enjoying and sharing the beauty of these wonderful flowers, (And fill in with anything else to keep us in touch during the off season!)

Before you know it, you too will be cross breeding, growing out seeds amd sharing them! To say nothing of parenting a larger family of amaryllis then you ever thought you would.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Welcome to our little piece of Hippeastrum Heaven, RHSC! Pull up a keyboard and join us! Please let us know where you are, and what zone you garden in so we can better help you! Any other information about your bulbs and what you have them planted in would also be helpful!

You are about to embark on a journey that will take you from bulb to flower to seed... and back to bulb again! Please fasten your seat belt... the ride may be a little bumpy! But it will be nothing less than amazing!

As Cindee said, we are always glad to enable someone else... so, if you want to begin a hobby that has some wonderful rewards, you've come to the right place! Tell us more about your red and white finds!

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are all so nice!!! :O)

I'm in Rock Hill, SC....where it's super duper hot! lol

The packages came with a bulb, pot with no drainage holes...and a block of compressed sterile potting medium.

I soaked the medium in a cup of hot water... then fluffed it up and put my bulbs down into the medium once it was loose.
    I have them up on the shelving unit in front of my window now.

My Epiphyllum seems to love that spot...so I thought they might as well.

One of the bulbs had leaves beginning to pop out of the top...the other did not have anything at the top.

I think the white one might have been a little too dried out to bloom...but, you can always hope!
    The red one, I think might do well....it's the one with some leaf production.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

If you have opted to use the compressed coco coir potting medium that came with your bulbs, be careful about watering... I have found that using coco coir, alone, as a medium is not the best idea for those of us that lean toward over-watering! The coir tends to retain quite a bit of moisture for too long a time, and contributes to root rot, which can easily spread to the bulb, itself.

Hippeastrum bulbs prefer to dry out a bit in between waterings, and they hate "wet feet"! The coir might look dry on top, but down in the center of the pot, it could be quite moisture-laden! I have found it helpful to insert little wooden skewers carefully into the soil to about root level, and leave them there... I take them out and press them against my cheek to test for dampness... if they feel at all damp, I wait to water... but if the skewer comes out dry, it's time to water.

Personally, I pitch the coir disks when I buy bulb kits, and use my own medium mix, which is a lot more porous and drains rather fast... I pot everything in unglazed clay containers, except for my orchids... the clay tends to "breathe", and is considered healthier for the roots.

Of course, I'm in zone 5, so my climate conditions will be different than others... some folks use strictly plastic pots and regular potting soil... some use clay and mix their own mediums... some use the kits just as they are with great success. It all depends on your environmental conditions, and your level of gardening knowledge and experience.

I wish you luck with your new bulbs! Once they bloom for you, and you see what lovely flowers these bulbs produce... and once you see how easy they are to care for and re-bloom... you'll be hooked like the rest of us!

For a little tease of the wide variety these bulbs are available in, click the link below!

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Colors

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wanted to thank everyone for their awesome advise....and, give you a good news update!!

Today I decided that it would be best to just get a spray bottle and mist the bulbs when the soil was dry to my finger poking around in there...and, I also rigged up a light at my computer desk so they could get a bunch of light.
    Well, as I was moving them over here guess what I noticed starting to pop up from each bulb?
    Yes, green leaf tips....not big at all...but, green and new!! lol
    I had them in high flitered light....and had just left them to sit since I had let the coco soil soak up all that water.

I can't tell you how excited I am! lol

I just thought I'd share my good news with all of you!!

And, that Royal Colors website is awesome! I'm addicted already!! lol

I have been to some thrift stores around town now looking for some vases I can use to grow my bulbs in from ideas i've seen here.

Thanks for reading!!!
    RED

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I hate to put a damper on your excitement, but misting the bulbs would NOT be a good idea... in fact, many people water their bulbs from the bottom to keep excess moisture away from the bulb, itself... the idea is to get water to the roots when they need it, but to keep unnecessary moisture from sitting on the bulb, so as not to invite fungus or rot to begin.

It's perfectly ok to stick your finger down into the soil to check for moisture... I do it all the time, and I have 50 plus bulbs in individual pots... I make sure to stick my finger as deep as it will go into the soil so I'm certain I've got the watering timing correct.

I would highly suggest going to your local grocery store and picking up a package of small bamboo skewers... they usually run about a dollar, or so, for a package of 100... they can be cut in half, and the pointed end carefully inserted into the soil to about root level, as mentioned above in my other post. Leave the skewer in the soil, and every few days, pull it out and press it gently against your cheek... if it feels cool and damp, hold off on watering... but if you can't feel any moisture on the skewer, it's time to add water.

More plants are killed by improper watering than by any other one thing! This is fact! There's no such thing as a "green thumb"... having a green thumb is simply having knowledge of plants and how to care for them, and using that knowledge! That's it!

When you water your bulbs, gently pour water on the soil until that water begins to come out of the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot... then, allow the pot to drain thoroughly and dump the excess water that's left in the saucer. Never allow your bulbs to sit in water.

If you prefer to water using the bottom watering method, fill the saucer with water and allow it to wick up into the pot, exactly as you'd water an African Violet... you may have to refill the saucer a few times... however, after some time passes, you'll want to dump the excess water out of the saucer so the pot isn't sitting in water that it can't absorb.

On to the glass vase method of flowering these bulbs... be sure that the bottom of the vase contains enough pebbles or decorative glass rocks so that the basal plate, or bottom of the bulb, is held suspended above the level of water in the vase. You want the roots to be in the water, but not the bulb, itself! It's rather crucial to keep an eye on the water level when blooming them in glass vases. Once they are done blooming, you'll want to take them out of the vase and carefully plant them in soil. They will need to grow their leaves and be cared for well so they can recharge for the next bloom season the following year.

As far as light goes, Hippeastrum bulbs require lots of sunshine when in growth mode! An unobstructed east or south window sill is probably best, although top quality grow lighting can be used, as well. While a bulb is in bloom, keeping it out of direct sunlight will prolong the flowering for a little while. It will still require light, of course, but it can be moved to a table or counter near a window, where you can better enjoy its flowers while they last!

A lot of people take their bulbs, pot and all, outdoors to enjoy the spring and summer sunshine and fresh air... they will find a sheltered area, out of reach of bad weather and other dangers, and allow their bulbs to grow until the weather gets cooler... then, they bring the pots back indoors for winter. While outdoors, the bulbs will most likely require more water, and they'll require fertilizer, as well.

I could write quite the book on how to properly care for your bulbs, but I think most of it has been covered already in past posts... proper watering and light levels are probably the two most important aspects of successful bulb growing, and it would definitely pay for you to do some reading here in this forum, and in the Container Gardening Forum, so you have a good idea of how plants and their root systems, and soils in containers, all work together.

It all may seem a bit daunting, but I promise you that it's really all easy once you understand what your bulbs require... and the rewards of good growing and good plant care are very much worth the effort of learning!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions