Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nititii

Will this variegated seedling survive?

Nititii P.
9 years ago

This is my friend's variegated seedling from seed. Now the 3rd leaf coming. Will this variegated seedling survive?

Thank you
Nititii

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

I'm not an Amaryllis grower but it looks like there is plenty of green in those leaves and enough chlorophyll factories to keep it alive.

Linda

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Only time will tell.

-Blanca

This post was edited by blancawing on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 4:19

• haweha
    9 years ago

I cannot provide a positive prognosis. I had one seedling (from H.aulicum v.robustum x "Giraffe") which started with a white streak on the 4th leaf; then the streak would be present on the 6th, 8th... and subsequent leaves ERGO but on one side of the leaf fan, but broaden until it extended to nearly half of the leaf, creating the same appearance as it does YOUR seedling in this early state. With the first semi-sheating leaf, the variegation then would affect all leaves, and more than one y later, the leaves emerged entirely colorless, the bulb would fade and I threw it away.
    My documentation of the case is, I am sad to say, incomplete, since I suffered from depressions with little drive to "do anything" which is the reason that I also LOST numerous precious seedlings of mine, due to neglect and subsequent consummation of the bulbs by Tarsonemid Mites, the worst being the loss of "Flamingo" which I shall never forgive me for *sigh*
    Here is the pictures as far as I can retrieve them:
    {{gwi:422367}}

{{gwi:3617}}

{{gwi:3619}}

{{gwi:3618}}

{{gwi:3621}}

{{gwi:3622}}

{{gwi:422368}}
    which is the first leaf of the formerly "green (nonvariegated)side" affected from variegation!

{{gwi:422369}}
    the first and the second leaf on the formerly "green side"

{{gwi:422371}}
    from the one and only OFFSET (bulblet) which was variegated: The other 8 (!) bulblets were nonvariegated and they would have survived, had I not discarded them
    THIS daughter bulb died during winter reposal!

{{gwi:422373}}

• jstropic (10a)
    9 years ago

Thanks Hans for the photos showing the progression of the variegation. I had a papilio that grew normally and then after mature put out a few half variegated leaves then reverted back to all green leaves.

So sorry to hear about your mite problem and the loss of some of your favorites. I think many of us here here have said to ourselvers...." If I had just......." more times than we would like to remember. So you are in very understanding company :)
    -J

• haweha
    9 years ago

"if I had JUST...
    so true...
    And I agree - the seedling can as well totally lose its variegation, in the future.

I retrieved my very last picture, the final stage of the "Drama" -

{{gwi:422374}}

• Nititii P.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Hans.
    We still hope it will survive with the variegated leaves because there are few variegated H. reticulatum var striatifolum and H. bangkok rose are selling in Thailand but very few quantity. I guess the seller propagate them by offsets. These variegated plants grow very slow and produce few offsets.

This is the picture of my friend's variegated H. bangkok rose.

NITITII

This post was edited by BigBulbs on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 13:54

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Nititii,

Wow! The saturation of color of your friend's Bangkok Rose is amazing!! Very interesting striping on the leaves also. Do they self and if so do they grow true from seed?

Donnaâºâºâº

• houstonpat
    9 years ago

I killed my variegated papilio with too much water. :(

• Nititii P.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Donna, Bad luck, H. bangkok rose is very hard to set seed.

• oleg9grower
    9 years ago

Don`t worry, this variety from Bangkok Rose - is a chimera.
    At chimeras through seeds, these properties are not passed