Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pollen question

Posted by dangles none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 11:17

how do u store pollen for later use my papillio is about to flower but nothing in flower to put it onto what is the best way to store the pollen regards and happy growing Danny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pollen question

Hi Danny,

What I do is just put the pollen in a little dish and dry it for a few days (Inside of course) then I just put it in one of those little plastic baggies and keep it in the fridge. It will keep for several months, maybe more. I'm sure there are many who save pollen besides myself that will share their methods also. Good Luck as papilio on some of your Maguires as well as some of your own creations should produce some gorgeous blooms if they take. I never seem to have any papilio at the right time for my Maguires but have been successful with several others.

I know you can also freeze your pollen but I've actually never done that as I always use my papilio pollen all up way before I need to freeze it!

Donna

o

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/amaryllishippeastrum/msg1023315728825.html

o

I store mine in hard gelatin capsules. They are just the right size for dipping the stigma in. I keep them in a little container with a desiccant packet in it to keep the moisture down. They are in my refrigerator.
K

o

thank you for your help very timely it has opened up today regards and happy growing danny

o

thank you for your help very timely it has opened up today regards and happy growing danny

o

One more thing Danny which I'm sure you already know since you're not new to this... if your plant is outside just make sure it doesn't get rained on before you harvest the pollen...;-) Many times I will pick the pollen sacs before they actually open (especially if I am going to hybridize on that particular plant) and they will open in a few days in your dish....Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here