Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Arif's Hippeastrum Farm!

joshy46013
12 years ago

Arif et all,

I wanted to point out that he has some absolutely MAGNIFICENT crosses, I was looking through your photo album and I was blown away by some of the beautiful hybrids, single and doubles, you really should open up your own Hipp. Farm!

Bravo!!! If I have your permission I'd like to show some of my favorites?

Comments (16)

• brigarif Khan
    12 years ago

Joshy, Thank you for the compliment. Please do show your favorites.
    Every year I work on a single objective.This years seedlings are from large flowers only.
    I havnt had any luck with papillio. Although I have quite a few, the blooms are rare.Only once the pods matured with 0% germination seeds.
    My Picasa and photobucket albums are public.
    I had an ambition of creating a Hip farm, my age is a hinderance.
    Currently I am working on developing a garden full of ornamental & FLOWERING trees, shrubs, bushes, vines, bulbs,fish pond with water plants and Annuals to fill in the blanks.
    Arif

• snycal
    12 years ago

Arif, I work with "assisted living", there is a resident 105 years old, who rides a bike to town every single day and gets all her own groceries. She has a small flower garden that she just loves. She is strong, loving, and enjoys lots of outdoor activities. Time is a hindrance for all of us, just keep on doing what you are doing, we love it.

I can't wait for the links!

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Arif,

These are some of my ABSOLUTE favorites, I will post more later! These plants are prettier than MANY of what's out right now, you've done a fantastic job!

{{gwi:380421}}

{{gwi:380420}}

{{gwi:380419}}

{{gwi:370910}}

{{gwi:380427}}

{{gwi:376701}}

{{gwi:391221}}

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh My!!!!!

Look at these, all STUNNING!

{{gwi:408027}}

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ANOTHER AMAZING ONE, I'm in love!

{{gwi:387560}}

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OH MY GOSH, this one is beautiful! Sorry, I keep missing some!!!!!!

{{gwi:423584}}

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOWZERS!!!!!!!

{{gwi:2334}}

• brigarif Khan
    12 years ago

Joshy Except one all others are my favourits too.The last but one is in my breeding programme I want Solid red with broad outer white in the same shape and size
    How about these two?

{{gwi:398217}}

{{gwi:389812}}
    Arif

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Arif, I love those as well, they're both really nice, I especially like the white picotee on the red! Your plants certainly give Maguires a run for their money!

Which one above don't you like???

• brigarif Khan
    12 years ago

The9th.But there are many who like it. To me other siblings are more charming like the one below.
    {{gwi:423585}}From Amaryllis 2010Untitled Album

Arif

• haweha
    12 years ago

The one under "Wowzers" should be "Jaguar"
    The first three, the Doubles are admittedly STUNNING.
    Very good! I assume that these would not be as easy to reproduce.

• brigarif Khan
    12 years ago

Hans, You are right. Way back it was sold to me as Papilio The bloom confirmed it was not and you advised me that it was Jaguar and that is what it is. It has produced a few babies and some are blooming,but the character was not seen in seedlings. The rest of them are all mine.
    This year the performance was not good (re-planting disturbance). Coming season I hope to present some new faces
    Hey Hans, even you have started liking doubles.
    Arif

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Arif, the last one you posted is AMAZING! I'm not one for doubles but yours really are VERY nice!

• malsyam
    12 years ago

Wish I knew how to order some of these bulbs here in Malaysia. Just started to follow some of the 'dormant in the fridge' advice. Have just planted out mine in pots with a decent mix. But have also tried out planting them in sand alone.

It's an experiment. Would love to report on how things are, if it's okay with the rest of the ole hands here?

Thanks for that lovely show. Words cannot say enough. Gardening has to be the most rewarding activity for young or old!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Of course it OK..in fact, ENCOURAGED!! What are your average summer high temperatures...and rainfall totals (how much water do they get naturally), winter lows, etc. Please describe your growing conditions so others can see if they can apply to their practices! Always good to know so you can see if it's worth trying.

Good luck with the sand. Good drainage, less rot!
    K

• malsyam
    12 years ago

Hi! Thanks for the encouragement. Malaysia is aseasonal. Our normal temp is like 80F throughout the yr; rainfall is in the same figure - 80 inches or so. No wintering period, afraid.

Growing hippies here with a lot of organic mulch just seems to encourage a lot of leaf growth. It might flower after a shower following a dry spell. But nothing as spectacular as Arif's collection!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions