Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crinum lilies blooming!

Posted by boca_joe 6b/7a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 13:08

I saw these at a friend's garden a few years back, they were in bloom in July and still sending up bloom stalks in November here in Zone 6b/7a. So I had to order them, the only source was Brent and Becky's Bulbs.

They are known only as " X amarcrinum" , a cross between amaryllis and crinum lilies. Completely hardy for me here, and they were planted in fall 2008, so this is their 2nd summer. I just saw the 1st bloom stalk pushing up last week. Once established they grow about 18-24" high (the bloom stalks) and rebloom profusely from late June through November here in Maryland just north of Washington, DC.

They are fragrant and such a beautiful color!

enjoy

Boca Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Boca Joe's X amarcrinum blooms August 2010

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crinum lilies blooming!

I love crinums! For me they are foolproof carefree plants. Survive salt water, freezes, full sun, drought, full shade, moving, being chopped up, cut down, don't need to be fed, bloom heavily.. what's not to like. Add to that the fact they spread like crazy and it's the perfect plant.
Tally HO!

o

Hi Joe, I don't have any crinums up here, but I did so enjoy your album!! Might you be a professional photographer? Gorgeous photos!!

Donna

o

I've had Amarcrinums for about 8 years in the same bed. The clump will put up 1 or 2 scapes some year, some years nothing. I'm about to dig em and toss em. They get full sun till 2 pm, good drainage, steady water, average fertilizer with high phos. Any tips to get more blooms?

o

I've never really looked at these, but I wonder if they are hardy to zone 6 up here in Pittsburgh? If anyone in zone 6 is growing these I would like to hear. Your pics are quite lovely I must say!

I have my first X Amarygia sending up spikes right now as well so can't wait to see what they look like....they are winter growers so no where even close to hardy here, but they have done OK under grow lights in the winter for a couple of years to mature......these are quite common I know and have been around for 150 years, but still fun to see the first time any of your plants bloom :o) Dan

o

Dan

You should be able to grow a few Crinums, Bulbispernum and Crinum variabile and I BET you could get away with Amaryllis and Crinum hybrid in a protected spot.

o

Hi Josh,

I do have a bulbispermum in the ground....been there for 5 years and never flowered.....likely because it takes too long to get started after winter, but who knows. My C. variabile just flowered in a pot for the first time so I will post a pic of that in a different thread.....they are supposed to be hardy, but if I can flower it in a pot then not worth the risk I suppose. Maybe I should put my few Hippi hybrids my wife has gotten from school students in the ground to see if they survive :o) Dan

o

hey HoustonPAt-

I am not sure what to tell you. I am no expert on these. They are my 1st ones.

Boca Joe

o

HoustonPat-sometimes they just don't bloom. It can take several years after transplanting, though we moved some 2 weeks ago and they are blooming now.
Oh, wait, I just read the whole post, you're taking care of them, ignore them, don't water, don't fertilize, just ignore them. All my crinums are blooming like crazy this year. They get zero, zip, zilch care from me, I did water one once when I transplanted it. These plants do best in ditches, empty lots, abandoned homesites, cemetaries, because noone takes care of them.
Tally HO!

o

I got an Amarcrinum last fall because I thought they would be easier to get to bloom than Amaryllis belladonna. Two years in the pot, my A. belladonna haven't bloomed ever even tried the no watering thing. As for my Amarcrinum, so far it has already produced two offsets, though it seems that it's unlikely to bloom this year. But I guess the one good thing to hear about Amarcrinums is that they throw out more than just one inflo. :) The foliage of Amarcrinums also hold up better, A. belladonna's foliage just flops for me and the cats love to use them as bedding for the night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here