Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Party Animal Blooming.....

Hi! Well, here is my next to bloom of the Maguire's order, Party Animal. I had no idea this was a miniature, a surprise!! Even if it's a little bigger next time, it will still be a mini!! The bulb was good sized, just under 3" in diameter so it's not due to an undersized bulb! I'm wondering how much this will differ from Party Pooper! Take a look..........

Donna
{{gwi:423860}}From M A G U I R E ' S~~ O R D E R~~ J U L Y~~ 2 6~~ 2 0 1 0
{{gwi:423861}}From M A G U I R E ' S~~ O R D E R~~ J U L Y~~ 2 6~~ 2 0 1 0
{{gwi:423862}}From M A G U I R E ' S~~ O R D E R~~ J U L Y~~ 2 6~~ 2 0 1 0
{{gwi:423863}}From M A G U I R E ' S~~ O R D E R~~ J U L Y~~ 2 6~~ 2 0 1 0
{{gwi:423864}}From M A G U I R E ' S~~ O R D E R~~ J U L Y~~ 2 6~~ 2 0 1 0

Comments (17)

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

That's a sweet one, Donna. I've got to dig up a picture of my Party Pooper from last year and post it. Alana

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just wanted to add a couple more pictures of Party Animal, I took the other pictures too soon, as she didn't have all her curves yet, she does now. Very graceful and curvaceous........
    {{gwi:423865}}From M A G U I R E ' S~~ O R D E R~~ J U L Y~~ 2 6~~ 2 0 1 0
    {{gwi:423866}}From M A G U I R E ' S~~ O R D E R~~ J U L Y~~ 2 6~~ 2 0 1 0

• haweha
    13 years ago

Thank you for showing!
    This is a typical Papilio hybrid, TETraploid.
    Beautiful!

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Party Pooper and Party Animal may look very similar but they have different ploidy.

{{gwi:423869}}

Original Author
    13 years ago

Maria, Is that a picture of both of them? I assume Party Pooper is on the left? And, if you happen to know the ploidy of either or both of them would you be so kind as to post? There must be Papilio in both? Thanks a bunch!!

Donna

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

Those are nice looking ladies I must say and nice pics as well :o) Dan

• primeribs
    13 years ago

Very nice, Donna! Now I can't wait for my pa to bloom!

How many of your maguire bulbs are getting ready to flower?

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi primeribs,

All, but 8 of 26 (2 free) bulbs have been potted up.....6 more should flower within the next few weeks! The others that are potted have buds (or just leaves as in the case of Russian Halo) and are coming along nicely! I am thrilled that these bulbs are blooming this summer! What an unexpected treat!

The second stalk on Party Animal is already 3 3/4" taller than the first one was at 6" so my comment about it being miniature was obviously wrong. I'm sure the flowers will be larger than the above flower at 4" also.

The 3rd flower on the 1st stalk of Amy was 1/2" larger than the first two, so they are all going to be larger (it seems) than I originally thought.

Pink Panther and Jasmine are next in line to bloom. All these bulbs are very wobbly in their pots so I had to bring them all inside.....getting them to grow roots will be the next hurtle!

This morning I just potted up Indian Fairy, Lavender Blue, and Tangellino, all with buds poking through!

Hope yours are doing as well for you........and I do hope the rest of you will post pictures of yours when they bloom, right now, I seem to be the only one!

Thank you all for your compliments............

Donna

• haweha
    13 years ago

EPIC amaryllisomeness *g*
    Papilio hybrids never fail to give me the THRILLS!
    Thank you for showing.

Now, go; crosspollinate THEM GUYS!!!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Well.....I selfed one Party Animal and put Amy Maguire on the other.....am going to store pollens from anything that blooms, I have nothing else out right now....but many more coming in the next few weeks and months! Exciting! I hesitate to pollinate a bulbs with no roots......but, could not stop myself. I'm sure some will abort. I have another stalk opening with at least 2 more flowers on PA, I don't know how many seed pods a rootless bulb can sustain.....Party Pooper won't be out for about 10 days, when it does then I will put PA on PP (surely these beautiful flowers deserve prettier names!!)and hope for the best!

The Papilio seedlings are growing at a snails pace, but still looking good.....

Donna

• karin123
    13 years ago

Donna,I have a question.You mentioned Papilio seedlings.Do you have selfed Papilios or are they crosses?I asked because I tried to self my Papilios this year with no luck.Now I need to know whether to try this year or not.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi karin123.

Further down on this page you'll see a post labeled Papilio from EBay with 63 posts. If you feel like reading that will tell you everything about my seedlings, or for the short answer, no, they weren't selfed, I only had 2 flowers and didn't want to waste one trying to self one since I think I had read somewhere that you would need two different strains of Papilio for a self to take, and then it wouldn't be a self would it............

Donna

• karin123
    13 years ago

Thank you for the information.Selfed was a bad choice of words.I have two strains so maybe there is hope.I will keep trying.

• primeribs
    13 years ago

That is awesome news Donna! I'm glad so many of yours have scapes forming : )

My Party Animal's spathe leaves just split, so I think in a few days? I've got four others with scapes forming and the rest are just sitting for the moment.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Great! Look forward to seeing your pictures! My second scape of Party Animal is opening with 4 flowers this time, on a much taller scape. Always good to know a bulb will produce 4 flowers! Looks like Pink Panther will be next.......

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

My Party Animal should bloom within a day or so. The unopened blooms look pretty large, so your first blooms must have been smaller than normal! Will post photos as well.

When I potted them up, I dipped the basal plate in Rootone, and thus far have lots of roots. My experience this year is 180 degrees different than last year...yipee!
    Kristi

Original Author
    13 years ago

I brushed Rootone on my basal plates too, don't think I have any roots yet!! The flowers on the second stalk were 4 1/2" 1/2" larger than before..... and the second scape was 11" as opposed to 9" on the first......and 4 flowers as opposed to just two......just keeps getting better.....!! Can't wait to see everyone elses Party Animal, I think this may be my favorite so far.............

Pink Panther has bloomed, think I may have choked on that one, but Grace Elizabeth looks lovely just like her name!

Donna

Sponsored
More Discussions