Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evaldas_gw

First hippeastrum

evaldas
12 years ago

Hello. Today I bought my first hippeastrum. It's planted and it's about to bloom. I assume (after some reading) that it's not the usual bloom time for hippeastrums, is it? I live in the north hemisphere, not the south - so it's summer here.

It says "Royal Red" on the label, but the blooms that haven't opened show no red coloration at all, so it might be a card mix up, and it might be white.

Take a look:

{{gwi:424153}} {{gwi:424154}}

I don't want to throw it out later, when it's done blooming, I want it to re-bloom next year. I read that you're supposed to stop watering about September, and let it stay dry and cooler for 8-10 weeks. But I assumed it's for winter blooming hippeastrums, right? So when do I stop watering this one?

How many degrees is the cool temperature? Do I have to keep it cool in the pot with the soil, or can I take it out and keep it as a plain bulb? Can I cool it in the fridge?

Comments (11)

• radarcontactlost
    12 years ago

If its your only one just keep it growing all year in the window. I have some blooming right now outside. They can be evergreen and bloom whenever.

• evaldas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't really enjoy the appearance of a plant consisting of only long leaves... I wouldn't want to keep it all year round :)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Well if you don't let the leaves grow and live after blooming it will die on you. The leaves are needed to provide food so it can make a new flower for NEXT year.

• anna_in_quebec
    12 years ago

Well, my amaryllis are all long leaves right now - very important as the previous person said. If you have an aversion to long green leaves, the amaryllis is not for you. Try a geranium or African violet instead.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Hi :)

It's crazy how fast the buds can change colors from white to red or orange.

Everyone has given good advice, where did you get this bulb that it's forced to bloom at this time of year?

Hippeastrum blooms build up in the bulbs from the prior growing season by nutrition the leaves, watering and food give it. If they aren't aloud to mature then they wont produce the bloom stalk within.

Hippeastrum will bloom without a forcing period, the forcing period just promotes the stalk to elongate within the plant but they will flower on their own time if you allow them. I have a plant blooming right now actually!

If you do plan to force it you need to let it get atleast a 9 month growing period, 10 would be better! At this point you can stop watering and let it rest. If you want to get it on the right schedule you can let it remain green until next years winter months.

Most Hippeastrum will bloom without a dormancy, if they want to sleep they will tell you, the leaves will start to yellow and die back. When they're ready to wake up they'll start growing again, they're pretty easy plants as long as you listen to them! Make sure you feed them, water them and watch for bugs and they'll reward you with flowers!

OH, BTW, Veronica Read says that all Hippeastrum hybrids are evergreen, if you keep them as a normal houseplant they will usually bloom late winter to early spring, some will bloom in summer or fall depending on the plant!

ENJOY!
    Josh

• evaldas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know that I'm supposed to let it grow leaves after it's done blooming, for about 8 months ;).
    I meant I didn't want it to grow just leaves all year round (my apartment is quite warm, so I thought it wouldn't put out new blooms without a cooling period (like tulips)).

The plant, I'm sure, is from Holland (I live in Europe).

So, when the leaves start to yellow, and I don't give it water anymore, after leaves are gone, can I dig it out and keep it for 8-10 weeks in the refrigerator, and then plant it? (That's what Holland growers suggest in their websites)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

These plants will put blooms out without a cooling period at their natural time which is late winter through spring. If you want them to bloom at a certain time then you should force them but it doesn't require cold temps like tulips. I do know of some that put them in the fridge but I would be very careful that the bulb doesn't get too cold or it will turn to mush!

You can pull it out of the pot if you're looking for space.

• evaldas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So if it's in bloom right now, will it also bloom in (this) winter?

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Well, it's possible but I would say no, it was prepped to bloom now by forcing it as opposed to it blooming naturally.

Refer to my previous post, the blooms start to form in the bulb from the prior season and these bloom stalks when forced mature and bloom out of season.

Just imagine it as any other bulb that you force, it thinks this is the time it is supposed to bloom and will have to regain strength over the next season to bloom again in the future.

• evaldas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep, a mix up of the cards...
    Do you know what cultivar is this? Is it "Aphrodite"?
    {{gwi:424155}}

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

I don't think it's Aphrodite, as those blooms aren't so vividly marked when they first open, and the center of this "double" looks more like Jewel. Almost looks like an Apple Blossom x Jewel cross! Interesting whatever it is. If you go to www.emaryllis.com you can see a wide variety of the hybrids there.
    Kristi

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner