Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

A wonderful Amaryllis cross :o)

bluebonsai101
13 years ago

Hi all, I got these bulbs 2 years ago and the first ones bloomed this weekend so needless to say I took some pics:

{{gwi:424216}}

{{gwi:424218}}

These crosses have been in existence for over 150 years and originated in OZ as some of you may know.....there are now huge numbers of varieties and most do not have names (thankfully), but they do make a nice statement in the fall garden, or in my case, the fall pots in the garden.

For those of you who have not figured it out yet, this is an Amarygia which is a cross between Amaryllis belladonna and Brunsvigia (the species of Brunsvigia that made this cross I have no clue about as many have been used over the years). I'm sure the growers in CA have lots of these in their yards as they are quite common there from what I understand. They have a wonderful smell and I am looking forward to the 3 other forms I received in trade to bloom in the years to come :o) Dan

Comments (13)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Very pretty! I like that they are clear in the middle and colored on the outer halves of the petals. Are they readily available??
    Kristi

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Kristi, I know there are huge numbers of varieties out there and many hybridizers have their own forms I think. I have never seen an Amarygia for sale from a typical catalogue, but since they have been around for 150 years I would think they would be available from various sources. If I come across a source for them I will post it :o) Dan

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Dan, beautiful bloom and amazing pictures. Nicely done!

Alana

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Lovely blooms and photography..

Izhar

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Alana and Izhar :o) Dan

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

Stunning ! That's a beaut Dan !

• salpal
    13 years ago

Dan- as usual you make me swoon! Very lovely plants and pics!

• dizzy77
    13 years ago

I have posted these pics before but wanted to re post this one. I have these growing in my front garden and without any care they flower every year without fail.
    Could they be the same cross as yours?

{{gwi:384771}}

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Those to me look like Amaryllis Belladonna

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got mine (also one called 'Alba', 'Select' and 'Hermanus') from a very good grower in Italy a couple of years ago.....but he could have been wrong of course. Mine are surely immature bulbs in that they are only 2.5" in diameter and the spike is only 8" tall. Hopefully in a couple of years they will reveal more of themselves and it will be obvious....also as the others bloom!!

I do need to remember to save pollen from them (the last flowers are about to open) so I can try to dab it on my Brunsvigia sp. nova that is about to flower again this year....it has been so reliable.....that bulb is maybe 1" diameter and produces a leaf with pustules that is only maybe 2" long.....would be a wonderful cross potentially :o) Dan

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

would love to have them.
    Thanks for showing.
    Arif

• clancy1985
    13 years ago

Dan, such a beautiful flower shown to perfection by your photography.

Alba, Select and Hermanus - are these named Amarygias? I've found only a little information about Amarygias since I was tempted to buy a bulb last February. Apparently I can't expect a bloom this season. But I find that just the foliage is a wonderful feature.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Clancy. I do not really know to be honest...just the names that came on the bulbs I got in trade for some things I had extras of.....I hope they bloom in the next couple of years as I do not have that much room for them in the basement under lights as fast as they are growing in size :o) Dan

Sponsored
More Discussions