Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirhan

New leaves keep flopping over

pirhan
13 years ago

Hi there,

I bought a hippeastrum last year. After flowering I let the leaves wilt to which I cut them back and placed the pot with bulb in the basement for six weeks. A few weeks ago I brought it up and watered it. It grew very fast and I have four foot long leaves on it. The leaves keep flopping to the side. They'll perk up for a few hours but eventually fall back down.

What am I doing wrong? Does it need fertilizer? More sun, less sun? More water?

The leaves are a new green colour (not dark) and again these are brand new leaves.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

What kind of light is the plant getting? Also, how much are you watering?

• Carl
    13 years ago

I've got the same problem right now. Last year I got a whole lot of new bulbs and they were doing great. This year I had problemes getting my chilled bulbs to sprout leaves again, especially Amputo. I think it's because temperatures were really low here, even indoors and the chilled period wasn't much colder. But why Amputo needed 4 month or so to get going, I have no clue. Now several have broken floppy leaves, and all of Amputo's are flopping to one side ... could it be that they're so out of nutrients? I was very shy in fertilizing this year.

• pirhan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the quick response.

The plant gets lots of indirect sunlight. I will be moving it to the front room where it gets partial direct sunlight through a window. (Just need to figure out how to keep the cat from digging in it.)

I water it once a week - drenching it in the sink. Our house is quite dry so I might be under watering it?

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

These leaves are probably spent, when was the last time the bulbs were in dormancy? What kinds are they?

If the sunlight is good the leaves will be a nice deep shiny green. Too little light will cause the leaves to be overgrown and "leggy" with a light color to them. Can you guys take some pictures so I can see them?

Are the leaves soft or are they nice and firm? Yellowing?

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Pirhan, I would say the bulbs need more sunlight. I've noticed that my bulbs at the end of the winter have long floppy leaves but as soon as I put them outside on the deck in the spring the leaves start to grow straight up. By this time in the summer I've got at least 8 leaves per bulb growing straight up, all very dark green.
    {{gwi:424753}}From garden web 2

Alana

• techiegardener
    13 years ago

My plants got much stronger when I put them in direct sunlight. Now they are under a tree and get direct sunlight in the morning and late in the afternoon. The leaves are now a shorter but wider, stronger and upright. My suggestion would be to give them as much direct morning and evening sun as possible.

• Carl
    13 years ago

My problem resolved itself ... I just don't know how ... must have been the way my flatmate watered in my absence ...
    Still all three Amputo, of which one had two scrapes last year, haven't flowered jet. They are the only ones that made such a fuss, but I heard of Elizabeth that they're known not too be very eager to rebloom.

pirhan wrote: "I water it once a week - drenching it in the sink. Our house is quite dry so I might be under watering it?"
    There's no way of saying how much you're supposed to water. It depends on the temperatures, the amount of light they're getting and also the humidity. I'd stick my finger in the pot before you water again. If it still feels cold and wet don't water.

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

betonklotz, my Amputos from last year also haven't flowered. I too have heard they can be difficult. If you figure out the "trick" to get them to flower let us all know! I wonder if they are like cybisters where you have to keep them dry in the spring so they send up a scape? I think I will try that next spring if I don't get any blooms by then.

Alana

• Carl
    13 years ago

I kept them dry because they woundn't show any sign of growth. We're keeping the windows open a lot here and since the spring was so cold I guess they needed warmer temperatures to sprout again. I've had them in a cellar to overwinter and I think the cellar wasn't cold enough. Because they have such little time to regrow their foliage I won't chill them this year. I'll try keeping them dry in spring without a big change in temperatures.

Sponsored
More Discussions