Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

What are you ordering and from whom?

OK...someone had to start it!! What Hippeastrum bulbs are you ordering and from what source??

Kristi

Van Engelen (3 ea)

Green Dragon

Gervase

Magic Green

Temptation

Evergreen

Emerald

Purple Rain

McClure/Zimmerman (I had a credit)

Violette

Pink Surprise

Easy to Grow

Cherry Crush

Half and Half

Royal Colors

Moscow

Double Dream

Benito

Nyora

AND MORE once they get their offers!

Comments (35)

• jstropic (10a)
    11 years ago

Oh Kristi, Kristi, Kristi - Shame on you! Igniting that flame in August no less lol

Seriously though, I am making my list too! Last season loved Half and Half, Pink Surprise, Ruby Star, Royal Velvet, Tres Chic and Harlequin. Purple Rain was ok, Grand Diva was ok.

Would like Sophisticate but not sure what else.
    j

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Add RC:
    Louise
    Tosca
    Caprise
    Apricot Parfait

UGH!

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Royal Colors (sent in today!):
    - Tosca
    - Apricot Parfait (hopefully I get the right one this time)
    - Emanuelle
    - Monaco

Eurobulb (Verberghe)
    - White Garden
    - Benfica (x 2)

Exotic Garden (Finland)
    - Jewel ( my favourite hippeastrum; got a lovely one from EG last fall, want another one)

• holantina
    11 years ago

I second J... hahahaha... :-D,
    ... but -on the other hand- it's never too late (or too early, in this case) to indulge in amaryllis shopping. It's so fun to have the anticipation for those beauties!!!

What i have ordered:

At Het Vlaams Zaadhuis /Le Jardinier du Nord

1 x jumbo red amaryllis (which a expect to be a Red lion)
    2 x Royal Velvet (one is for my mother) This is our Big favourite in this color sort.

At Bakker:
    1 x Blossom Peacock.

I'm affraid this is only the beginning, bcause there are gorgeous hippies at RC begging me to take the home :-O hahahaha.....

Original Author
    11 years ago

Sometimes it's too late as the really great ones tend to sell out early in the season. My thoughts are: If you see it and your want it, buy it...for tomorrow it may be gone!
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Hi!!

I finally put my first order in to Easytogrowbulbs so they wouldn't run out of Half & Half as they owe me one from last year.

I ordered one of eash of the following:

Lima..... (mine died last year, not from them)

Chico..... (I lost this one too, again not from them)

La Paz....the last time I tried for a La Paz I got Sumatra..trying again..

and, my free Half & Half..they said they were limited so I though I'd better not procrastinate too long....

Still waiting to see what goodies Royal Colors might add..I want a Double Dream from them and possibly a Tosca...

Donna

• seaj
    11 years ago

This year I really want to try ordering some bulbs from Van Engelen. From them I would order Temptation, Papilio, and Gervase. Temptation was my favorite from last year and it would be great to have many more of those. My Papilio still hasn't bloomed, but I want more anyway. I was sent a yellow amaryllis instead of Gervase last year, so that is still on the list. I also like Exotica and Purple Rain. Eden's Blooms will have a good selection of the smaller Hadeco bulbs that I would like to add to the collection as well. Of course any Cybister is an option during the end of season sales. I'm gonna need a job, more space, and more hydroton before any of this happens though.

11 years ago

From Royal Colors:

# 1... Double Dream

# 1... Rio Negro

# 1... Tosca

This is my first order from Royal Colors and I am hoping for the best according to all of you....!!

I'm waiting for them to add some of those new cybisters that they show on Facebook too!!

Donna

Original Author
    11 years ago

Someone stop me (NOT!)....Taking a risk on EB's as I haven't ever ordered Hippi from them, but got some nice related bulbs so:
    Alfreso (one of my faves and used for crossing..scented double that offers some pollen)
    Cupido
    Harlequin
    Hollywood
    Jade Serpent
    Joker
    Jungle Bells
    Milady
    Peach Blossom
    Lemon Sorbet
    Rozetta
    Green Dragon (note they specifically state that these have previously bloomed so I don't know if they will bloom again this season OR it means that these will be 2nd year bloomers...bigger bulbs?)

Please note that I will be gifting some bulbs this year...they aren't ALL for me!

CHAD is BAD!!
    K

11 years ago

Somebody's out of control..but making some bulb dealers very very happy....

• seaj
    11 years ago

Looks like you won't have to pay for shipping Kaboehm! I will probably order from them if they add Gervase and Temptation to their catalog. If they do, I also want
    Trentino
    Graffiti
    Milady
    Christmas Star
    Fanfare
    Top Choice
    Double Six

I did order a Gervase from them last season, but I got a medium sized yellow/green flower instead. Gervase is top priority right now.

Does anyone know where to get Lovely Garden or Supreme Garden? I know Brent and Becky's has Supreme, but I'm not sure I want order from them.

Original Author
    11 years ago

There are worse vices...and my Christmas shopping for coworkers is DONE!!
    :-)

UGH...setting up my new toy (computerize telescope). Thank goodness for YouTube videos!
    hehehe
    K

Original Author
    11 years ago

...and your point??
    K

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Tosca is very nice, I ordered it from RC a couple of years ago when they had it as one of their facebook exclusives.

You are sooooo bad! I am trying to resist.......
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally, if we can meet for lunch in October or November I'm sure I'll manage to bring you some goodies! EB emailed that Harlequin and something else didn't arrive as expected so I'll have some duplicates!!
    K

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Sounds like a plan to me! I am trying to decide what to order from RC and VE. I spent all my money on plumeria this year and now I have to work ot to pay for this addiction.

Tally Ho!

• anna_in_quebec
    11 years ago

As usual I am hampered for choice in that I am in Canada, but always a source for me is Royal Colors, and thanks to Kristi I realized today I left Moscow off the order I placed a few weeks ago. I hope Paul can arrange the addition for me.
    I also ordered:
    Nyora
    Caprice
    Spartacus
    Lagoon
    and Rio Negro from Canadian source Garden Import.

Also, my local coop will be getting their bulbs soon, and I can usually count on picking up (yet another) Apple Blossom and Red Lion, amongst a few others.

I finally brought in my 100+ bulbs in from their summer holiday, and was very happy to see how huge many of the bulbs had become (they remain in pots throughout, and how very long an numerous the leaves were (I don't have the heart to chop them all off). But what a chore to lug them down to the basement!

Photo is gratuitous pic of Dancing Queen that bloomed for me this summer :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Anna!! So good to see that someone besides Donna and I are trying to keep the list going!

I got my Eden's Blooms bulbs a couple of weeks ago and bet that I will have blooms to show off in the next week or two!

Keep us posted on how everyone does in the basement. YES...I cut the leaves, but otherwise with 300 pots, it's just too much to deal with. I cut them to about 8" and then they gradually die back in the greenhouse and then the necks get cut back once that happens.

Hope all is well with you....any new kitties in the house?
    Kristi

11 years ago

Hi Anna,

I too have been lugging plants downstairs to their new digs for the winter..two new shop/grow lights to accommodate about 40 more pots.
    I'm bagging up about 30ish bulbs that I had pulled out of their barrels and after their leaves dried and their necks were cut they will go out in the garage for a few months (unless it gets too cold). These I will try to give the recommended rest period. The rest of the gang will keep their leaves as they see fit and hopefully bloom when they wish..

Do you ever grow seeds? If so, I have two pods on Party Animal and if they mature(they're still in a barrel) I'd be glad to send you some seeds. Party Animal is a really gorgeous flower and after 3 bloomings I finally have some seedpods..a little late in the season unfortunately though.

Hubby has agreed to put a trash barrel over the double bulb when the temps crash like they're forecasting this weekend! I thought of digging the whole bulb up with a gigantic rootball but I don't want to disturb it since it's doing so well. I wonder if the cooler days and nights will affect the seeds..guess I'll see in a couple of weeks.

Donna

• anna_in_quebec
    11 years ago

Yes! I have been informed I can add Moscow to my Royal Colours order :)

Although I still have a relatively low % of reblooms, I cannot throw out a perfectly healthy bulb. Besides I get some nice surprises - in the late spring and even in summer. I am very reluctant to cut the necks, as I am afraid I may slice into a possibly emerging scape - although I guess the likelihood of having a scape at this time of year is slim.

Kristi - no new kitties, but a senior one departed this year: our Sweeto Bandito. See below if you'd like to read about him. He loved snoozing amongst the amaryllis in the window garden - this was his last photo:

{{gwi:424207}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Passing of Bandito

• anna_in_quebec
    11 years ago

Oh - and Donna - I would love some seeds!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Add an Exotic Nymph from WFF...thought I had ordered one from RC, but it wasn't in the box....and (ooops) not on my list. RC has sold out, but WFF still has them. Weather looks good for the next week...fingers crossed!
    K

• bunti
    11 years ago

Dutch Bulbs
    ---------------
    Exotic Peacock
    Flamenco Queen
    Elvas

easytogrowbulbs
    ------------------
    Half and Half
    Cherry Crush
    Vera
    Pink Surprise
    Samba
    Monte Carlo
    Blossom peacock

Johnscheepers
    -----------------
    Salmon
    Rosalie
    Faro
    SummerTime

Local nursery
    ----------------

tres chic or full house

lowes
    --------
    susan

last years collection
    -----------------------
    Benifica
    Prelude
    Nagano
    Flaming peacock
    Garvase
    Papillo
    Snow Drift
    Lambada

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Anna,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Bandito looked like an absolute little angel and quite at peace sleeping in the sun. After all, isn't that what kitties and woofs are supposed to do??? I had a wonderful kitty, who has since passed and he also loved to sleep in the sun right beside my potted plants. On a happier note, your hippies look beautiful.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• rgebczynski
    10 years ago

Hello, I would like to refresh this topic. Also since there is so little activity going on, that it makes me think not only our bulbs went dormant for the season!
    So, please awake from your hibernation :)

This year not much ordering really, I had 14 bulbs ended with 11 because of some perrils. My two minature blossom from Royal Colours bloomed once and just passed away, I don't know really why. And my Orange Sovereign was sick from the begining and I just didn't have the patience to try again and again and again to cure it.

This year I am mostly ordering from Taylors Bulbs, UK Amaryllis bulb company.

The list for this year is:

Amaryllis Jewel
    Prelude
    Evergeen (so want this one!)
    Papillo (sooo wan want this one to!)
    Sweet Nymph
    Red Nymph
    Sumatra
    Black Pearl

• Fred Biasella
    10 years ago

I ordered from Brent and Becky's:

Trentino
    Red Garden
    La Paz
    Estrella

I was very impressed with Red Garden. I got a large cluster of inter-connected bulbs. There must have been at least 6 good size (flowering size) and a bunch of babies still firmly attached, oh and healthy roots too!!

The other bulbs were also very healthy and they had a good amount of live roots still attached, much better than the usual dried naked basal plate ones I've gotten in the past. I also bought a bunch from the local gaden shops and Ebay.

Oh God!!! Someone help me!!! I think I've got "BAD CHAD" this year.

• Fred Biasella
    10 years ago

I ordered from Brent and Becky's:

Trentino
    Red Garden
    La Paz
    Estrella

I was very impressed with Red Garden. I got a large cluster of inter-connected bulbs. There must have been at least 6 good size (flowering size) and a bunch of babies still firmly attached, oh and healthy roots too!!

The other bulbs were also very healthy and they had a good amount of live roots still attached, much better than the usual dried naked basal plate ones I've gotten in the past. I also bought a bunch from the local gaden shops and Ebay.

Oh God!!! Someone help me!!! I think I've got "BAD CHAD" this year.

• Fred Biasella
    10 years ago

Ok...had a brain fart and posted twice. I think it's time to go home.

• anna_in_quebec
    10 years ago

Bad chad indeed! It took 3 hours to haul all my bulbs back into the basement last month after their "summer holiday". Yup, I have THAT many. And should not get more, but I did:

From Royal Colors (so happy they shipped early this year, and I didn't have to harass the mailman due to frost fears):
    Barbados
    Party
    Celebration
    Avanti
    Spotlight
    Siberia
    Violetta

And various others from local sources:
    Desire
    Hercules
    President Johnson
    Double Dream
    Dancing Queen
    Pink Impression

Original Author
    10 years ago

Anna,
    I wish I could move my bulbs in hours.... It will take me an entire weekend and then a few hours spread over a few days. I'm here in Ohio for a few days and it is supposed to freeze tonight. I think I have several weeks before I have to worry about freezing weather down in Texas.

Guess I need to set the greenhouse up again soon. That will take a couple of hours.

I only ordered 7 bulbs from Royal Colors and 3 from Living Gardens. Bought enough from Komoriya that I think I've got that out of my system!

This year I have many of my own hybrids that should bloom, so that will be the highlight of my season.

K

10 years ago

Anna Welcome Back!!

I was pretty good this year (not counting Komoriya bulbs of course) I got about 15 this year, about half being Israeli bulbs which I seem to have good luck with. And of course my aulicum form Telos and 2 Pixies as well as a few from a nursery.
    Just one bad experience with a Double Dream I bought at the nursery. As carefully as I inspected it must have had a spot of rot and it was in the back when I set it down. Yesterday when I happened to turn the bulb around I was horrified! Surgery was performed but the bulb is a mess. Last year I had trouble with my Double Dream too and I really like it as it's the closest thing to Maguire's Indian Fairy out there. So I will keep trying; at least they are selling them more places these days.

Of this year's bulbs an Evergreen will be the first to bloom...

Donna

I also meant to welcome Rob back to the forum too..so welcome back!!...and Fred!!

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Having acquired CHAD about a year ago, there are a lot of offerings that are new to me. Here's what I got this year (Komoriya excluded)

John Scheepers
    -Neon
    -Brazza
    -Gervase
    -Purple Rain
    -Temptation

McClure-Zimmerman
    -Violetta
    -Lemon Lime
    -Splash

Blooming Bulb
    -Amalfi
    -Belladonna
    -Bright Spark
    -Top Choice
    -Bellisimo
    -Top Choice
    -Trentino

Touch of Nature
    -Matterhon
    -Rio Negro
    -La Paz

Living Gardens
    -Tosca
    -Pixie (x2)
    -Lemon Sorbet
    -Sophisticate
    -Charisma

Vermont Wildflower Farm
    -Showmaster
    -Lagoon

and at a local nursery
    -Christmas Gift

Yep, my CHAD has gotten BAD.

• Fred Biasella
    10 years ago

Hi Anna,

You're lucky it only took three hours. It took me two whole weekends to treat and lug about 200+ pots inside. Some of my poor clivias and nearly all hippies (they're the most numerous) were infested with mealy bugs that required a heavy duty treatment of Bayer Tree & Shrub to kill those dang little buggers.

Warm Regards & Broken Back,
    Fred

10 years ago

Oh Fred...Good luck eradicating those monstrous mealy bugs!! I had 5 or 6 clivia that came with them and it took me the better part of a year to get rid of them..but I was just using an insecticidal soap which was obviously too weak but finally it did work. No more mealy bugs!

Donna

• rredbbeard
    10 years ago

I have been ordering from Telos (telosrarebulbs.com). Diane is very helpful, with a wide variety of reasonably priced bulbs.

Mauro (brazilplants.com) A great source of Brazilian species seed.

and

A supplier with the initials 'RC' (the only bad experience in the lot, with a viral bulb.)

I have a couple more years before most of mine will flower.

-Rr

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions